well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Supermarket report
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Supermarket report
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
industrial roll toilet paper

Oh, good call! Looks like that is something I might actually be able to get in our area. Whew.

Now the question is, do we go out and get it just in case, try to order for delivery, or wait a while to see if we can get our preferred product before we run out....

Since I'm trying not to leave the house, I'll try the delivery route and see what's available.

ETA: also, all the industrial roll toilet paper options on Amazon are either out of stock, or will be delivered after the end of April. Good grief!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18511 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Costco.

No hand soap, hand sanitizer, pasta, paper towels, toilet paper, a few other popular things. Limits on laundry soap.

Curiously, there was plenty of what the weirdo Sphinx family requires.

We got fresh veggies, butter, olive oil, pesto, pure vanilla, chickpeas, black beans, lemons, tomatoes, bell peppers, yoghurt, cheddar cheese, goat cheese, fancy cheese, water crackers, kalamata olives. Forgot to buy balsamic vinegar.

Very few people, so shopping was quick.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Ventured out at dawn to Gordon's Food Service. There were maybe two other shoppers, two staff, a couple delivery folks and me. They had a lot of food. Bought ground turkey ($3 a lb!), a gallon of milk, onions, potato chips (for MFR - Amazon sent me the dip but not the chips), a whole beef tenderloin and a block of smoked cheddar.

Went by a couple groceries on the way home and they were both pretty crowded. If you have a GFS I recommend trying them.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13557 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
We got fresh veggies, butter, olive oil, pesto, pure vanilla, chickpeas, black beans, lemons, tomatoes, bell peppers, yoghurt, cheddar cheese, goat cheese, fancy cheese, water crackers, kalamata olives.

Yummy

Mik, we don't have anything like GFS down here. There are two regional chains, and two Walmarts.

Yesterday I was surprised by how many people were out and about. We will not be going shopping again until we run out of something that we can't replace/substitute.

Posts: 18511 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There's a GFS just down the street from our Trader Joe's. I'll check it out.

Mik, did you check the toilet paper supply there?

Razzer

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37931 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Word on the street around here is that Lowes/Home Depot and Staples/Office Depot/Office max are the best places to find your T.P.

Haven't checked this for myself....luckily, I was a toilet paper hoarder long before it was the in thing (I stock up when our store puts it on sale) so I'm set for a while, LOL!

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Amazon delivered fancy feast cat food just now.
30 cans. A regular but used to be overnight, now 3-4 days.

They are stopping delivery of non essentials I read.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
There's a GFS just down the street from our Trader Joe's. I'll check it out.

Mik, did you check the toilet paper supply there?

Razzer
Nope. I wiped that one off my list. We buy in quantity anyway, 96 rolls at a time.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
96 rolls at a time

Eeker

Obviously we've been doing some thing wrong heretofore with regards to our toilet paper procurement here in the SK household.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Yesterday morning, I hit the Costco. My usual Costco is the one adjacent to the company headquarters.

They have like eight lanes at the gas station. There was one other car.

I don't know what time they actually opened. I got there a little before 10:00 and there were already people in the store. There was a line of about 30 people waiting to get in. People were keeping their distance from each other. There were a couple of Costco employees handing out tickets for paper products and bottled water. I guess this was to ensure each customer only got one. I got tickets for Bounty paper towels (we usually get the Costco brand) and Costco brand TP. There was a very orderly queue of carts back to the back corner. On arrival at the back corner, you handed your tickets to an employee and they brought you your bale of TP. So we now have a spare 30 rolls.

Vegetables were in adequate supply. I got tomatoes, power greens, and cucumbers. Also mandarins and bananas.

No plain pasta. No Kraft parmesan cheese. No Costco brand acetaminophen, but some jars of Tylenol. They did have the Costco brand acetaminophen PM. Didn't want that. I bought one jar of Tylenol.

Eggs were one container per member, but you could get one container of two dozen or one container of five dozen. I had an unopened container of two dozen, so I got two dozen more. We're good on eggs.

There was plenty of bread, but we have two unopened loaves, so I passed.

In short, they seem to be holding up.

Then I hit a regular grocery store. There are a couple outlets of the big chain that are tucked away in various neighborhoods. I hit the one near Mrs. pj's old place. Plenty of TP. Almost no chili. No thermometers. Out of half-gallons of skim milk, so I bought a gallon. We'll use it... it never goes bad. I forgot to look for pasta.

In all, we seem to be set okay. The supply chain seems to be okay for now.

My neighbor drives a truck for a local container-hauling business. He interacts with very few people during the day. That seems to be a safe job to be in these days. I figure the drivers bringing goods to stores are about the same.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
My local goods distributor came through last night with my whole order - several lbs of ground beef, a couple dozen eggs, bread, baked goods and some veggies.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
We have a chain here called Cash & Carry that mostly has large quantities and caters to the restaurant business. I don't know how they are doing now that most restaurants are closed except for take-out.

The one thing I went there for is tea. They carry Twinings or Stash and they have Earl Grey (my fave) in large boxes.

I have to go out again Monday morning. Maybe I will swing by there and see what they have.

I was thinking about grilling up a pork loin.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Went to Costco and TJs. Costco was queueing people up to go in. Sign out front tells you what they're out of, and it was the usual paper products and sanitizers/disinfectants. All the carts are outside and they have you sort of snake in to the inside door. Person checking cards is standing waaaay off to the side.

Store wasn't insanely busy, but some things were picked over. Almost no chicken left (just wings and drumsticks). No ground turkey that I buy regularly for the dog's food. I had scored a bottle of Tylenol at the grocery store so I didn't check to see what the OTC meds selection looked like.

The person who checks your cart against your receipt on the way out was just waving people through.

TJs wasn't busy and the shelves and freezer cases were 50 to 75 percent empty. Limit of two of any single item per person, and only one full cart per person. Still lots of cheese, fruits and veggies, but breads were a little sparse. May just be a matter of delivery schedules. Mr wtg asked me to buy some of his wine, and they're even restricting booze to two bottles of a particular wine.

Binny's Beverage Depot, which is just around the corner in the same mall, was insanely busy for a weekday afternoon, even though it is Friday. They must have heard that Gov Pritzker is going to announce a shelter at home order effective tomorrow. They're stocking up for the long haul.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37931 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Yeah, at Costco the guy checking receipts at the door was just making a half-hearted swipe with a mostly dead Sharpie. Not really looking at what you had in your cart.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Binny's Beverage Depot, which is just around the corner in the same mall, was insanely busy for a weekday afternoon, even though it is Friday. They must have heard that Gov Pritzker is going to announce a shelter at home order effective tomorrow. They're stocking up for the long haul.
Sounds like "hurricane parties" when I lived in Florida. Even Mary-Chapin Carpenter mentioned that in her song "Down at the Twist and Shout". Stock up on booze and munchies. But this is going to go on for weeks or months.

Protein. Protein is important.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com