well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Supermarket report
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Supermarket report
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
So, we went shopping today, hopefully for the last time for at least two weeks if not more. We were able to get pretty much everything we wanted, except no bread (of any sort!), no tylenol (of any brand, including generic etc) and still no toilet paper. I think we have enough TP for maybe a week or two, I'm not actually sure because we've never paid much attention to it before, we would just always buy when running low.

Oh, and Mr. SK couldn't find the kind of rice he always buys, and turned his nose up at the other kinds that were there! Roll Eyes

Other than that, there were items for which our preferred brand was completely sold out, and we got a different brand, or maybe a different size than what we wanted. We only visited two stores, and decided against going to a different store because there were more people out and about than we expected. We tried to avoid other shoppers, and it seemed like that was what others were doing as well. I suspect people are not going in to work and so are out and about at all times during the day. (For example, I noticed that the traffic was not especially light...)

I asked the gal at the checkout at one store (the other one we used self checkout) about the TP, she said they got a shipment a day or so ago but it sold out in less than a day. And then she said trucks come usually on Thursdays and Saturdays but she didn't know whether they'd have TP or not.

I hope we can avoid another trip to the store for at least two weeks, so fingers crossed.

Reading about the likelihood of generalized shortages of consumer products in the future makes me very nervous.

How are things where everyone else is?

ETA: also, Mr SK (who usually does all of our grocery shopping by himself) is now afraid that he'll be out and someone will do or say something to him because not only is he Asian, but he also has a very obvious accent and doesn't always understand everything. So I have promised to go shopping with him for the foreseeable future.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Oh man. Poor Mr SK. That would be frightening.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I've never used it, but do people have access to Amazon Fresh? From what I see the prices seem pretty reasonable.

Any experiences to share?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I bought TP on Amazon fresh last week. Price wasn't great but they had it. I've bought other groceries from them in the past and it seems to work pretty well.

I just checked and it looks like the still have TP today as long as you want Cottonelle.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh man. Poor Mr SK. That would be frightening.

Yeah, and it doesn't help that he read those reports about how two of the things that people are now panic-bulk-buying are guns and ammo. I think it's harder for him to ignore that kind of thing because he just.doesn't.understand. gun ownership (not that I do either) and it somehow emphasizes for him his "foreigner-ness" I think. It's funny to think of me "protecting" him by going out with him, when he's so strong and I'm such a wimp. But that's ok, he's got the brawn and I've got the... English skills? suave

WTG, I hadn't heard of Amazon Fresh, so I checked, and indeed, it's not available here.

I also checked Walmart's pick up service and so on, none of those services have toilet paper right now.

I'm sure we'll find some before it becomes urgent. I just hope that product scarcity doesn't become the rule, even though I sort of expect it will.

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I have found that janitorial supply houses still have TP and a some of them sell to the public.

OTOH I expect the supply will be back to normal in a week or two so maybe just wait.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I received two deliveries yesterday, one from Amazon Fresh and one from Whole Foods. Whole foods has very little. Out of a order for meat, bread and a few other things all I got was two loaves of bread and a package of sage. Amazon Fresh fulfilled all my stuff, but a lot of it was snack stuff, plus ricotta and semolina flour.

Kroger Clicklist has about half of what you ask for.

Today we ventured out to a local farm where i buy a lot of meat and eggs for a few chickens, pork chops and eggs. Figured that jaunt to the country was very low risk.

Tomorrow I will get a delivery from the local foods coop. We'll see what we get. Should be everything.

We are good for a month or two.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I bought TP on Amazon fresh last week. Price wasn't great but they had it. I've bought other groceries from them in the past and it seems to work pretty well.

I just checked and it looks like the still have TP today as long as you want Cottonelle.

Thanks, just ordered some!

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Instacart also does grocery delivery.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I can't find it available to order anywhere.

Oh, well except for this:

is there some way to report this? Or report the seller?
Mad

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
OTOH I expect the supply will be back to normal in a week or two so maybe just wait.

BTW, i suspect you're right, mostly. The thing is, probably for a while anyway, as soon as it's in stock in stores here, it will be purchased up quickly.

What a PITA. Har, see what I did there? suave

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
So, I thought I found some TP to order on Amazon, it said there were 8 left in stock, but it was Amazon Pantry, so I had to fill up my cart (?? Never used that before, and I have prime) anyway, in the maybe 5-ish minutes it took me to fill up the cart, the TP (and cereal) came up as no longer in stock.

Hopefully we'll find some to buy before we run out, otherwise we'll have to resort to Jodi's TP substitutes!!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Ask someone in Physical Plant where the school buys their TP. I'll bet you can get a case from the same place. Cleaners and disinfectants, too.

Ask them if they have any "broken cases". Institutions buy by the case and broken cases are a hassle to sell. They might give you a deal just to be rid of them and you really don't need a whole case anyway.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this suggestion! If we get really desperate we'll have to see if that's something that might help. Thing is, campus is deserted right now and no one is supposed to be there (I know because I went to get get some books from my office!)

We'll see, I'm hoping that we'll get some before we run out here. We could post on FB and ask for handouts, but hopefully it won't come to that either! suave

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I've also heard that you can buy those industrial rolls fairly easily (what Steve is talking about). Walmart has some locally--google "industrial roll toilet paper."

I went to our local store today to get produce and a few other perishables. They were out of all TP, all disinfectant cleanser and wipes, most flour, all refined sugar. Produce looked totally fine, dairy was reduced but I found what I needed in a brand not typically my own. But c'est la vie.

They also had a number of milk substitutes, which are unavailable in Costco (things like almond milk, etc.).

I guess COVID-19 has turned everyone into bakers.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post