well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Why vinyl records survive in the digital age

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why vinyl records survive in the digital age
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The entire experience of vinyl helps to create its appeal. Vinyl appeals to multiple senses—sight, sound, and touch—versus digital/streaming services, which appeal to just one sense (while offering the delight of instant gratification). Records are a tactile and a visual and an auditory experience. You feel a record. You hold it in your hands. It's not just about the size of the cover art or the inclusion of accompanying booklets (not to mention the unique beauty of picture disks and colored vinyl). A record, by virtue of its size and weight, has gravitas, has heft, and the size communicates that it matters.

Records, in all their fragility and physicality, pay proper respect to the music, proper respect to the past. They must be handled carefully, for the past deserves our preservation. They are easily scratched, and their quality is diminished as a result of those scratches. They are subject to the elements—left in the sun, they warp. Like living things, they are ephemeral.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming...dium-is-the-message/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I feel the same way about tail fins, but that’s just me. Cool

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I feel the same way about tail fins, but that’s just me. Cool

Now you have done it. I want tail fins.
Saw a guy recently who was very well dressed. His style was nouveau 1962. Expected him to get in a new/old Ford Thunderbird or very nice car with fins car when he left.
His style inspired me to consider becoming a clothes horse again. Have not bothered with dressing well since about 1977.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post