well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    James Taylor's "Fire and Rain" keeps spinning in my head

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Taylor's "Fire and Rain" keeps spinning in my head
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
While the west is beset by fires, the Gulf coast is inundated by feet of water.

quote:
Part of bridge collapsed in Pensacola as 30 inches of rain and storm surge turned streets into white-capped rivers Wednesday morning after Hurricane Sally lurched ashore the Gulf Coast.

Sally's strong winds battered Florida and Alabama as the center moved near the states' border as of mid-morning. In Pensacola, Florida, a section of the Pensacola Bay Bridge collapsed, and downtown was largely underwater.

Flooding as the slow storm dumped intense rains has proven to be Sally's most serious danger: "Historic and catastrophic flooding, including widespread moderate to major river flooding, is unfolding," forecasters say.

Photos and video from coastal areas showed trees downed, debris and boats thrown about and streets flooded. Around 9 a.m. local time, a water level station in Pensacola reported inundation around 5.5 feet above sea level, the National Hurricane Center said.

Flash flooding emergencies were in effect and rescue efforts underway for parts of southeastern Alabama and the Florida Panhandle as the storm could dump up to 35 inches of rain in isolated pockets.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...ida-rain/5814379002/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
During the protests, mine was "Angry Young Man," by Billy Joel.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
The fires on the west coast are just so horrific. I haven' seen the latest news on Sally's impact, but it doesn't look good.

We don't anticipate winds, but we are forecasted to have 6-10 inches of rain between now and Friday... hopefully that will ultimately be very stretched out rather than falling all at once....

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Speaking of bridges is Forida, whatever happened to the investigation in to that prefab bridge that collapsed a few days after is was installed?

[edit] Found it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/1...university-NTSB.html

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34916 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I didn't know, so I looked it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...rian_bridge_collapse

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
They said "someday you'll find all who love are blind"
When your heart's on fire,
You must realize....

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
smoke gets....

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post