well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hey, Steve

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey, Steve
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I finally remembered to look for bacon at Aldi, but there were a couple of different thick cut bacons. Do you remember which one you bought? One looked really thick and I think it said it was applewood smoked. The other said "thick sliced" but I don't think it was nearly as thick.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It’s the thickest one.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Two versions of thick cut; one is a pound and the other a pound and a half. Come from the same company but I'm not sure if they are different bacons, or just two different size packages.

And each of those has a hickory and an applewood smoked version.

I'm so confused.

Oh, and there's a peppered version, too.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I think it’s the gourmet one. It should have a better meat to fat ratio than the regular.

The one in the fridge right now is the peppered version. We haven’t tried it yet.

I’m not sold on Aldis chicken leg/thighs even they’re $.69/lb. They’re butchered strangely and have part of the back and carcass. Lots of bones and difficult to de-bone.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried the chicken, but from what you describe it sounds like it would be good for chicken soup. I make mine in the Instant Pot.

http://well-temperedforum.grou...001041166#1001041166

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Why not try them all?

Smokin'

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I checked in the fridge. It’s the gourmet one.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Why not try them all?

Smokin'

My thought exactly. It's not like buying a car. There's very little lost if you like one a bit better than another and you won't know unless you try.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7380 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I just bought a package on the gourmet on your recommendation. We sadly do not have bacon often and generally don't keep it around, but it sounded very good.

I did examine the different packages. I found the ones that appeared thicker simply had narrower slices and were fattier.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I think it’s the gourmet one. It should have a better meat to fat ratio than the regular.

The one in the fridge right now is the peppered version. We haven’t tried it yet.

I’m not sold on Aldis chicken leg/thighs even they’re $.69/lb. They’re butchered strangely and have part of the back and carcass. Lots of bones and difficult to de-bone.

We can get those at our butcher. Chicken Legs BA is generally how they are labelled (BA is back attached). I use them frequently if I’m braising or stewing so am pulling the bones out after cooking. They are always very cheap compared to drumsticks and thighs.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4082 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Excellent bacon!

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I cracked up when I was at Aldi today and saw yet another gourmet thick cut bacon offering. Big Grin

Available flavors are maple, peppered, hickory, and applewood.

I went with the gourmet hickory. Will try the applewood when they get it back in.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
That's all they had yesterday, but i like applewood smoked stuff. Always have a bag of it around.

Of course I also have cherry, hickory, pecan, mesquite....

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
That's all they had yesterday, but i like applewood smoked stuff. Always have a bag of it around.

Of course I also have cherry, hickory, pecan, mesquite....

Have you tried any of the firewood yards to see if they have a branch or two to sell? Plenty of trees around and I know it would cost less than buying smoking woods in plastic bags.

I never got to it this year, but next year I'm going wood shopping!

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I get lots of hickory and oak branches off my own trees, but the rest I just buy the bag.