well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    ? for those who have done mask research
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

? for those who have done mask research
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The CDPH health commissioner said while she possesses KN95 masks, she doesn't regularly wear one and may only do so in certain settings involving large crowds.

"When I have put them on, might be like, say I have to pass through an airport or something. There's going to be a lot of exposure," she said. "...It's not the one I choose for everyday use. I'm vaccinated, boosted, etc."

KN95 masks, as well as N95s, filter out at least 95% of air particles, but N95 masks have stricter pressure drop requirements and are regularly considered the "gold standard" for masking.

quote:
Arwady previously said that while double-masking is a good way to provide “excellent protection," she too stressed the importance of having a mask that properly fits.

“If you’ve got gaps, you can have droplets leaking out. We’ve been recommending wearing one of the surgical masks with a cloth mask over it,” she said. “That’s a good way to have excellent protection."

https://www.nbcchicago.com/new...rom-omicron/2723757/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
And before you ask, they didn't talk about KN95 or KF94...[quite]

Quit readin' my mind! WhoMe

Re this:
[quote]There was a story about masks, and how long it would take for someone to get omicron from an infected person, with both in a room and eah wearing the same type of mask.

Cloth: 27 minutes
Surgical mask: 60 minutes
N95: 25 hours

At first I thought that was comforting, but now, I'm not so sure.

How about, 35 students sitting, sometimes facing a teacher, sometimes facing each other. The teacher is standing, the windows don't open. There's lots of loud talking. Class is 50 minutes. ETA: some students have on surgical masks, some have gaiters or cloth masks. Several keep pulling their masks down to take a drink of water. Several students have their noses out.
Let's say 8 students are positive.

Yes

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I saw that chart a few days ago. Since next week I’ll be with a room full of 6 year olds who wear cloth masks with varying degrees of success for 5 hours a day. And of course while they eat… I’m not sure it matters which mask I choose!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4081 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Wait.

Isn’t the purpose of a mask to keep you from infecting other people?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Bought a 3 pack of these 3M Aura 9205+ masks to try for fit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Seems like they come and go in everyone's stock. I had to wait for the 3 pack from Amazon but could have gotten the 10 pack from HD a couple of weeks ago without a problem. Now they seem to be short at HD, too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M...205P-10-DC/316909322

I think I'd wear one of these if I really felt I needed super protection.

Good fit for me. Comfortable. Rubber bands are behind the head rather than over the ears; I could see the rubber band getting tangled in longer hair. Large foam strip over nose keeps glasses from fogging.

But my favorite is still the BeeSafe, and I might add a cloth mask over the top if I wanted to crank it up another notch.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Can you wear both?

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Not sure whether you're asking if it's a good idea to double up, or whether I can tolerate wearing two masks.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Wait.

Isn’t the purpose of a mask to keep you from infecting other people?

Steve, are you being serious or silly here?

If the former, no, actually a good mask protects the wearer. The best situation is when all parties have a good quality mask with a tight seal. But wearing a good mask unquestionably protects the wearer, even if the wearer is in the presence of someone not wearing a mask at all.

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
BTW I just got done teaching and have a big circular indentation all around my face and an ugly red canyon across my nose.

I'm pretty sure I have a tight seal.

suave

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
CDC’s updated mask guidance. Probably nothing you don’t already know…

https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru.../types-of-masks.html

Bazootiehead-in-training