well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Trump Ordered to Turn Over 8 Yrs Tax Returns

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump Ordered to Turn Over 8 Yrs Tax Returns
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
to Manhattan DA.

Reject his argument that sitting presidents are immune from criminal prosecution.

Wow!

(But what took them so long?)

Trump's tax returns subpoenaed

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
He's trying to use a novel and ridiculous, unprecedented argument that a President is immune, not just from criminal prosecution, but from criminal investigation during the Presidency. So, he's making his argument in federal court, and he lost at the district level. He's already indicated that he's appealing to the Second Circuit (as if there were any doubt).

The district court's decision will probably be stayed while the court of appeals considers the appeal, I'm guessing.

If it isn't, or if Trump loses at the court of appeals, he'll head to the Supreme Court. But here's the interesting point. Ordinarily (not always), if the Supreme Court is asked for an emergency stay, the decision is made by the justice who is responsible for that court of appeals (each justice is assigned to different circuits, by tradition). If that justice doesn't issue a stay, the court's order goes into force (unless the whole Court intervenes, which is unusual, but I don't think unprecedented).

And the justice responsible for the Second Circuit is ...

Wait for it ...

Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Big Grin

If I have any aspect of the process wrong, I assume Cindy or Jack will correct me.

Posts: 45728 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
RBG for the win!

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25681 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I can't think of anything in the US branches of government that is running normally, so I wouldn't assume that any prior guidelines would be followed...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7547 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
President Donald Trump suffered another setback in his effort to guard his financial information as a federal appeals court refused to block the Manhattan district attorney’s subpoena to his accountants for tax records.

The 3-0 ruling by the federal appeals court in Manhattan moves the case closer to a possible showdown in the U.S. Supreme Court. If Trump loses there, he may run out of legal ways to halt District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. from obtaining the records.

The court soundly rejected Trump’s claim that his broad presidential immunity prevents state prosecutors from investigating his affairs or obtaining records from his accountant. A lawyer for Trump argued before the panel last month that Trump could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue, echoing his famous 2016 boast, and that criminal charges or even a subpoena for his records would be legally out of bounds.

“Presidential immunity does not bar the enforcement of a state grand jury subpoena directing a third party to produce non‐privileged material, even when the subject matter under investigation pertains to the president,” the Second Circuit Court of Appeals court said.

Though the ruling was narrow -- the court made clear it wasn’t weighing in on whether Trump could be prosecuted or himself required to turn over records -- it is still a significant blow to the president.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...orney-s-tax-subpoena

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37809 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post