well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Cardiovascular Disease Is Becoming More Prevalent in Middle Age

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cardiovascular Disease Is Becoming More Prevalent in Middle Age
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
https://www.wsj.com/articles/h...80?mod=hp_listb_pos1

quote:
Americans are dying of heart disease and strokes at a rising rate in middle age, normally considered the prime years of life. An analysis of U.S. mortality statistics by The Wall Street Journal shows the problem is geographically widespread. Death rates from cardiovascular disease among people between the ages of 45 and 64 are rising in cities all across the country, including in some of the most unlikely places.

In the Journal’s analysis, three metro areas east of Colorado’s Rocky Mountains—Colorado Springs, Fort Collins and Greeley—recorded some of the biggest increases. Death rates in each rose almost 25%. The three cities boast robust access to exercise and health care. There are bike trails, good heart-disease treatment-and-prevention programs and nearby skiing and hiking.

“It’s everywhere,” said Judy Hannan, senior adviser at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to Million Hearts, a federal initiative to prevent heart attacks and strokes.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
Thank God I’m not middle-aged anymore…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

I worry about it in the winter, because I tend to want to hibernate and not get out much. Usually I get some form of exercise at least from walking around at work or to/from the bus but in the winter I have zero inspiration to get out.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post