well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Refinancing?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refinancing?
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Anybody refinanced recently?

I'm in the process for the place we'll likely retire to in Santa Fe.

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Probably a good time.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
What's the rule of thumb for when it makes sense? Something like 1%, I think. We're cutting the rate by 1.35%.

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Our mortgage is too new so we’re not considering it. Plus, I want to hold on to our cash reserves and I assume there’s an origination fee when you refinance.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
There are closing costs, but with a big enough interest rate cut (and I'm thinking it's significantly lower than 1%), the payback period is very short. And I never pay points.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
IIRR the rule of thumb is 1%. Also of course you need to plan to hold onto the property long enough to justify the expense. Which includes an appraisal and closing costs.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21339 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I look for a payback of less than half the amount of time I expect to keep the loan.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
My payback of closing costs should be about 9-10 months. A good deal at any discount rate.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
My payback of closing costs should be about 9-10 months. A good deal at any discount rate.

P*D, what rate did you get? I just looked into it and it was 3.5 or 3.6 percent for Regis. Not low enough to make it worth doing for us.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:

P*D, what rate did you get? I just looked into it and it was 3.5 or 3.6 percent for refis. Not low enough to make it worth doing for us.