well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Best way to cook rice?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to cook rice?
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We learned this from a Thai chef years ago and used it for a long time before using dedicated rice cookers.

Rinse, rinse rinse - we just put it in a mesh strainer and held it under the faucet until it was running clear(ish)

In whatever sauce pan used, place rinsed rice in bottom, then put enough water to cover and then go up to the first index finger joint over the rice. (that would be HER index finger joint!!)

Bring to boil - I seem to remember uncovered.
Take off heat, cover and let sit for 20 mins.
Stir to fluff, and enjoy.

This was for Thai jasmine rice, so you may need to experiment and adjust.

Good luck!

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
The low-end Zojirushi I linked to above is about $40 and is only about 8" tall x 8" wide. Not much investment in money or cabinet space, but it makes way better rice than I ever could manage on the stove. And it's set it and forget it - I load it up, push a button, and then can leave it sit there for an hour or so unattended if I need to - nothing burns or sticks.

Well worth trying, IMO.....

Posts: 4389 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I use Tiger brand rice cooker. It's a rival brand of Zojirushi's (a bit like Yamaha vs. Kawai, Toyota vs. Honda), but the rice cookers spot roughly the same functionalities.

Most Indian restaurants serve Basmati rice, which shouldn't be hard to find in or near NYC.

I find that if you reduce the water a bit (vs the rice cooker's recommended water line), you get grainier rice as a result. You always get a less grainy, stickier-looking top layer. But fluff down a bit and the grainier rice will reveal itself.

Good luck!

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12681 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
An IP knock-off for cheapo at costco.com. Price is good through today. It's an 8 quart, so it's kinda big.

https://www.costco.com/.produc...019_0207_HotBuys_End

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37779 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’m still a big fail at cooking rice on the stove. I should practice before the once a year stove cooking at Thanksgiving (mom-in-law got rid of the rice cooker we gave them many years ago).

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9788 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I'm not exactly a failure at stove-top rice, it's just somewhat sticky and clumpy. Now, that kind of texture is fine for sushi rice, for example, but not the greatest for other uses.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13778 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I also think Ax/Nina/WTG et al are onto something -- what kind of rice are you cooking? Regular old white rice is always sticky and clumpy for me, no matter how I cook it. I've had much better results using basmati rice (which I can get at the grocery store) or Thai jasmine rice (which they sell at Costco in like 20lb bags).

Posts: 4389 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Rinsing is important if you don't want sticky.

Beyond that, here's a bit I found on a food blog:

quote:
Cook's Illustrated published a method about a year ago that finally has made me a rice cook. It works for all long-grain rice. Rinse the rice in a strainer. Even if the recipe doesn't cal for it, rinse it anyway. Some rices, basmati and jasmine come to mind, will need several rinses. American long-grain usually just need one. Use a 1 part rice, 1.5 parts water ratio (that's 1C rice to 1&1/2C water). Bring the water to a boil, salt if you choose, add the rice. Cover tightly and reduce heat to the lowest simmer for 20 minutes. Take the pot off the heat, place a tea towel over the pot, and replace the lid. Taking care, obviously to make sure the edges of the towel are clear of any live flames. Leave the towel and lid on the pot for another 10 minutes. This allows the rice to continue to steam, but the towel will absorb any condensation that would normally drip back down into the rice and contribute to stickiness. Since I've started doing this, my rice has turned out perfectly.

Maybe worth a try?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37779 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I also think Ax/Nina/WTG et al are onto something -- what kind of rice are you cooking? Regular old white rice is always sticky and clumpy for me, no matter how I cook it. I've had much better results using basmati rice (which I can get at the grocery store) or Thai jasmine rice (which they sell at Costco in like 20lb bags).

Pro tip ... they sell BROWN jasmine rice at Trader Joe's.

I don't enjoy brown rice alone, but I can mix it with white jasmine, and the mixture works for me.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Pot. Rice. Water. Cook for 20 minutes.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who taught himself to finish drywall by building a wall in his garage, taping it, tearing it down and doing it again. Over and over.

I think I’ll spend a Saturday doing that with rice. Stovetop and IP. When I’m done I’ll know how to do it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34842 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

Yeah. This is the way I do it. It's always worked just fine, unless I walk away and it sticks to the bottom and burns.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

That’s what I do with qunoa. Maybe I’ll try it with rice!

Razzer

I like brown medium grain rice. I guess it’s worth wrecking a couple cups to see if I can get the result I want.

My grandfather used to do the knuckle method. My parents used to do the knuckle method, too, even with the rice cooker! Me, I’ve always used the lines in the rice cooker. I’m kind of a rule follower...

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9788 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Brown rice takes a lot longer than 20 minutes... more like 40.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Brown rice takes a lot longer than 20 minutes... more like 40.

20 in the Instant Pot (but white rice takes 12).

Another thing that can reduce the stickiness of the rice is to introduce a fat into the cooking process. Butter, olive oil, whatever ... a little makes it stick less.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post