well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Best way to cook rice?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to cook rice?
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
Hi, I've been envying the way the local Indian restaurant turns out its white rice, all fluffy with every grain separate. I can't get it that way at home.

I know my Jaffrey book says to wash and rinse it several times, then soak it. I don't have the patience to get it to where the water is almost clear, so that method is not for me.

I know toasting it is a good way, as in rice pilaf, so maybe I'll do that. But does anyone have a good method for plain white rice? (I like brown also.)

Not sure I'm ready to invest in a rice cooker, but if that's the best option I may consider it. I don't like having too many appliances around.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Been a rice cooker household for more than 25 years. Bought a high-end Zojirushi that was kind of an early Instant Pot for me. Then I got an Instant Pot maybe a couple of years ago. Have hung on to the Zoji because it's a great machine.

The Instant Pot has a rice setting, but I don't know how good a job it does because I still use the Zoji for rice. Well, except for biryani, which is fabulous in the IP.

Otherwise I imagine it's pretty much the same as a standalone rice cooker.

I think you'd enjoy the IP for more than just cooking rice.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
It may have something to do with the variety of rice they use.

Sneak around to the back of the restaurant and look for an empty rice bag in the trash.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Zojirushi, the Cadillac of rice cookers.

I'm sorry, I'm too brain washed to consider alternatives.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You can cook other grains in the fuzzy logic Zojis and the IP. Steel cut oats, for instance. No burning. No boiling over. No muss, no fuss.

And if you like Indian food, check out some of these recipes. Many can be prepared for vegan diets:

https://ministryofcurry.com/instant-pot-recipes-2/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Zojirushi user here, 16 years now.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The Instant Pot is terrific for rice. Better than a regular rice cooker. (Can't say whether it's better than a Zojirushi.)

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Also, stating the obvious, not all rice is the same. Thai usually uses jasmine rice, Indian uses basmati.

I've become a huge fan of Yotam Ottolenghi's rice recipes. Here are a few. For the first, I don't have access to curry leaves, so I've used basil leaves and lime zest to approximate.

baked rice recipe

Here are several.

Actually, rp, you might enjoy his cooking, regardless. I believe it's completely vegetarian or, if not, highly veggie oriented.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Zojirushi is the best rice cooker EVER.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Those recipes look great, Nina! Will try them soon.

My understanding is that aged basmati is the way to go for fluffy. I buy mine at Costco; the brand name is Royal.

Cook's Illustrated on basmati. You can't see the full article without signing up, but they do tell you that the winner of their tests was Daawat:

https://www.cooksillustrated.c...ts/1902-basmati-rice

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I like my Zoji, but I miss my boring 35 year old Hitachi. It was a lot faster! And I liked how it cooked my rice. But I’m guessing the old scratched up aluminum pot wasn’t doing my brain cells any favors...

So now using the Zoji for rice! Looks like the one in SK’s picture.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I got a much smaller, much cheaper Zojirushi for Christmas:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...&qid=1549502178&sr=3

I needed a replacement for a Hamilton Beach rice cooker that I had had since college that was circling the drain, and this was the closest thing to it in size and general construction that Mr. Lisa could find. I was skeptical at first - I wanted something that cooked more rice than my Hamilton Beach one since we never seemed to have enough. But this one is fine. It's basically idiot-proof. Add the rice, fill up to the marked line with water, put on the lid, push one button. Makes great rice every time. The instruction book talks about rinsing the rice but I have never done that and it's always fine. And it's tiny - takes up very little cabinet space.

I will say that while it says it cooks 3 cups of dried rice, they are not 3 real cups - it's 3 of the special measuring cup that comes with it. The cup is about 6 oz so it ends up being basically a little more than 2.5 c of dried rice. I almost sent it back because of that, but it makes just enough more than my old cooker that our family doesn't run out of rice anymore so I'm happy.

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I'm delighted to see all the Zojirushi fans here!!! They really are the best!

You can also make all kinds of other things in Japanese rice cookers. Besides the obvious ones that are rice plus something, Mr. SK makes random cake-type things in them, he sometimes makes one that's kind of like a pound cake, with apple slides, it's Yummy

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
We love our Zojirushi. We use it at least once a day. We use it for rice as well as oatmeal.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone. It sounds like the Zojirushi is the way to go, but I have to decide if I make rice often enough to justify it (about once a week, and I realize you can make other things in it).

It shouldn't be that hard to make it on the stovetop. People have done that for millennia. I just want to do it right.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post