well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Best way to cook rice?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to cook rice?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Zojirushi, the Cadillac of rice cookers.

That's what I have too. Great.

jf

--------------------------------
Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17669 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Brown rice takes a lot longer than 20 minutes... more like 40.

I just want it to be not wet and smooshy when I use it to make rice/waterchestnut/chinese sausage/oyster dressing at Thanksgiving at Mom-in-law’s house!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I got Basmati on my third try. Rince rice 45 sec. under running water. 1 cup rice, 1 cup water, 3 minutes on high, 15 min natural release. Just like restaurant rice.

Pushing the “rice” button gives me 9 minutes on low pressure. 3 minutes on high pressure is much better.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I got Basmati on my third try. Rince rice 45 sec. under running water. 1 cup rice, 1 cup water, 3 minutes on high, 15 min natural release. Just like restaurant rice.

Pushing the “rice” button gives me 9 minutes on low pressure. 3 minutes on high pressure is much better.

On an Instant Pot?

My Instant Pot gives 12 minutes high pressure when you press the rice button.

Posts: 45721 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I checked it again. On my IP the rice button is 12 minutes on low, not 9 as I stated above, and not on high pressure like your machine.

Different models must use different programs.

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I think it's more likely that I'm wrong about the pressure. I'll check the next time I make rice.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I figured someone had to have done this analysis:

edit: Found a complete list that links you to all of the models; have substituted it for the one I posted initially.

https://www.pressurecookingtod...duo-and-smartcooker/

edit2: For my unit, the Ultra, it says that the Rice setting is only for white rice.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37683 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
I figured someone had to have done this analysis:

edit: Found a complete list that links you to all of the models; have substituted it for the one I posted initially.

https://www.pressurecookingtod...duo-and-smartcooker/

edit2: For my unit, the Ultra, it says that the Rice setting is only for white rice.

Thank you!

Yes, for brown rice, I use manual for 20 minutes.

(And I have nearly poisoned myself by undercooking beans, but that's another story.)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
This is what it says abot the rice setting on my "Duo Plus":

quote:
RiceLow PressureMade for white rice only. This fully automatic program adjusts the cooking time depending on the amount of water and rice in the cooking pot

How does it know how much is in the pot?

[edit] Looks like there is a lot more going on in that pot than I thought:

How smart cooking programs work

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
As I suspected, I was wrong about the pressure setting. The IP rice setting is, as Steve said, 12 minutes on low.