well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hospital financials in the time of COVID

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hospital financials in the time of COVID
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Hospitals in the United States could lose more than $500 billion in 100 days during the coronavirus pandemic, according to former Veterans Affairs Secretary David Shulkin. While Congress has appropriated $175 billion in total stimulus funding to hospitals, he said even that amount will not be enough to close the fiscal gap hospitals are facing.

Without proper funding to offset major financial losses during the pandemic, the consequences to major hospitals could be dire. Large hospitals could begin to see their capabilities and care resources fade, warned Shulkin and others who have served at the helm of major hospitals.

It could also require hospitals to prioritize some departments and teams, such as oncology and critical care teams, over others considered less essential. Large clinics, known for developing cutting-edge care could see reduction in the scope of their research, particularly for research unrelated to the coronavirus.

Some major institutions have already begun pay cuts, furloughs, and layoffs of hospital staff, deepening a growing unemployment crisis, and leaving some former hospital workers without health insurance.

“There is no hospital in the country, I don’t think, that could survive a year of what’s happened in March and April,” said Jefferson Health CEO Dr. Stephen Klasko, who also serves as president of Thomas Jefferson University.

Within the health care industry, there is also concern that many local community hospitals, with far fewer resources than their much-larger counterparts could collapse altogether.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...g-resources-n1201541

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Try as I might, I can’t muster any sympathy for hospitals.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Hospitals run on very thin margins and do not have huge cash reserves normally, especially rural and small market hospitals. This is a very serious problem and a good reason to open them back up to treatment.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Try as I might, I can’t muster any sympathy for hospitals.

I can muster a LOT of sympathy for people who rely on those hospitals in rural areas because the nearest one otherwise is half an hour or more away.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post