well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Canned Cranberry Sauce
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canned Cranberry Sauce
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Just like Mom's:

A Thanksgiving Love Story

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34795 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

A classic. There should be a green bean casserole in the background as well.

Posts: 35360 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
My mom too.

But I don’t get it. It’s soooo much better when real and it’s trivially easy to make and can be made well in advance.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
My mom too.

But I don’t get it. It’s soooo much better when real and it’s trivially easy to make and can be made well in advance.

YES.

I just made my cranberry/ginger/orange relish last night. Trivial to do.

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It’s a tradition and I don’t mess with it. Smiler

Posts: 34795 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
We hav two th8s year, cindys cranberry bourbon sauce (that has been in a jar since last thanksgiving!) and some spicy one with hot peppers that my mother in law made that’s supposed to be great.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20398 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Or you could have your homemade cranberry sauce, but in a can: https://food52.com/blog/9084-h...berry-sauce-in-a-can

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
Or you could have your homemade cranberry sauce, but in a can: https://food52.com/blog/9084-h...berry-sauce-in-a-can

Making scratch made cranberry jelly look like you bought it in a can is just quirky enough to try. ThumbsUp

Meanwhile that website, Food 52, has a podcast I really like called “Burnt Toast”. They cover food subjects no one else would ever think of - like food fights.

Worth a listen.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I don’t think I’ve ever had homemade cranberry *sauce* but my mom always made homemade cranberry relish.

She taught me how to make it so I could make it myself I suppose, but since we’ve been done here, we buy cranberry relish at the local Publix. They make it with just enough orange. It is soooo good.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
We had both a homemade cranberry sauce (made by Mr. AM’s cousin and sent to us from New York), and a bowl with CANberry sauce, which is my family tradition. Just like Mom opened.

Big Grin

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
It's the texture for me. Home made texture, is yuck, and often too strong.

I still like moms canned!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I brought Cindysphinx's bourbon cranberry sauce that I made in the morning to the dinner I attended.

There was canned sauce there..I watched as my daughter in law packed up the left overs..The canned needed a much bigger tupperware just sayin'. Smiler

I never eat the canned stuff..ick.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I was on a work trip, so no bourbon cranberry sauce this year.

Instead, I asked LS to make it using the recipe on the bag.

Trouble is, I had bought a Costco sized bag, figuring I’d use the extra to make muffins or something. But he used the whole bag!

Um. We have a lot of extra cranberry sauce.

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
It freezes.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
And it is great on top of cheddar cheese and crackers. Yes

I canned some of it last year and Oldest used that to bake in into an apple, cranberry, chard crisp.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post