well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    It's not gone yet

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's not gone yet
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
My friend had a trip scheduled to the Basque country in 2020 when COVID hit , so of course it was postponed. The small group she travels with finally decided to go and left on May 3.

Just got an email from her saying that someone in the group developed symptoms and tested positive. She and her roommate have both tested negative, but several others in her group have tested positive and are isolating. She also asked for the name of the Pfizer antiviral, just in case....

She got a second booster about a month before her trip, which is probably helping.

Has thrown a bit of a monkey wrench in the works...trip is over in a few more days, so at least they got most of it in before the COVID s***t hit the fan.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Mrs pj went to her mom's home town two weeks ago for, among other things, her niece's baby shower. There were 30-ish people there and no masks. Last night Mrs pj was talking to her mom and found out that the niece and her fiancée are both in the hospital with COVID. We are hoping her baby is okay.

No symptoms here.

Time to schedule the second boosters.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
It's in its 5th wave in the US.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
My friend is on a 3 week trip to Italy, vaxed and boosted. First two weeks were great. Then she and hubby got Covid. They’re staying a few extra days; she’s testing negative but he’s still testing positive.

Blergh. I’m just trying to avoid Covid until I have my second cataract surgery next week.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Ive traveled internationally three times during covid, all in the last 6 months.

I always think about what I’d do if I tested positive and couldn’t come home. My first concern is my transplant meds, which aren’t easily obtainable without getting multiple bureaucracies involved, well outside of their standard procedure zone. In other words, it could take ages.

So I bring weeks worth of extra meds.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We have been socializing (maskless) a bit more, only at people's houses (i.e., no restaurants etc.) and only with people that we know are vaxxed and boosted. We have visited friends' houses or had people over here on 4/23, 5/6 and 5/13.

But at lunch today I was just saying to Mr. SK, ok, we probably need to hold off on any more maskless indoor events for a few weeks now, because I'm hearing more stories like this and also watching the wastewater numbers in town go up again.

Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I know SO many people who have been trapped overseas by COVID.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Same. In many cases it's not just the disruption of schedules, but it's also an enormous cost. So you have COVID and can't return to the USA. Depending on the country, where do you go? Unless they have quarantine hotels (which can be awful, apparently), are you supposed to sashay up to the local Marriot and request an expensive room for two weeks? When they ask about your exposure to COVID, do you lie? Will they give you a room? It seems like the answer to all of this is "it depends."

Idly wondering if travel insurance would cover any of these expenses if you were to contract COVID outside of the USA. I'm guessing no. Because that would be, um, logical.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

Idly wondering if travel insurance would cover any of these expenses if you were to contract COVID outside of the USA. I'm guessing no. Because that would be, um, logical.

My friend had travel insurance and a few days before the trip was trying to sort out exactly what it covered. When she gets back I'll ask her....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post