well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Alaska governor cuts higher ed funding by over 40%
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska governor cuts higher ed funding by over 40%
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted
If this passes, it will have significant impact. The cuts, if enacted, will go into effect immediately.
Alaska system may never recover.

And while we're at it, here's a snippet from The Chronicle (I don't think this is available w/o a subscription):

Complicating the budget fiasco was that two-thirds of the state’s lawmakers were in one place, and one-third were in another. Dunleavy said last month that a special session to consider the vetoes would take place in Wasilla — his conservative home town —

Is this starting to be the new GOP tactic? Run away from the capital to avoid having to debate and go on record? Cowards. I wonder if they can see Russia from where they are. Wink

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
"I do believe that the University of Alaska is resilient, I believe they have good leadership and I'd say give them a chance, " Dunleavy said. "I believe that they can turn the university into a smaller, leaner but still very, very positive, productive university here in the Northern Hemisphere."

Skeptical

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Alaska will lose most of its mobile resources. The best professors, the best administrators, and the best professional staff will move to greener pastures in the lower 48. That will be impossible to recover from in most peoples' lifetimes.

I suspect they'll lose most of the better (more mobile) students too.

The amount of uncertainty the governor has just chucked at the system is astounding.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Are their any states that don't have a state university system?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
No. Every state has a public system.

Some states have not cut funding too badly over time. Others have chopped real appropriations per student by 35% over the past thirty-five years.

Alaska currently appropriates $17,704 per student, down from $27,930 in 1985. But their current appropriation is huge in comparison to Virginia ($5,701), which is why the large percentage cut in Alaska will devastate the system. Dunleavy is in a big hurry.

The two worst funders are New Hampshire ($3,065), and ... drum roll please ... Vermont ($3,193). These are states who's students would get the biggest inflow of federal funds if we used federal $$ to make college "free."

Heck, even Mississippi ($5,301) out funds those New England states.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
By the way, if anyone is interested in where I'm getting these numbers, just click here:

SHEEO data

Click on "wave charts" in the menu. The national average will pop up. You can use the pull down menu to examine each state.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
No. Every state has a public system.

Some states have not cut funding too badly over time. Others have chopped real appropriations per student by 35% over the past thirty-five years.

Alaska currently appropriates $17,704 per student, down from $27,930 in 1985. But their current appropriation is huge in comparison to Virginia ($5,701), which is why the large percentage cut in Alaska will devastate the system. Dunleavy is in a big hurry.

The two worst funders are New Hampshire ($3,065), and ... drum roll please ... Vermont ($3,193). These are states who's students would get the biggest inflow of federal funds if we used federal $$ to make college "free."

Heck, even Mississippi ($5,301) out funds those New England states.

Vermont, I know, takes a lot of out-of-state students. More students from our Massachusetts high school went to UVM than to any other non-Massachusetts state university.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Vermont has such a small population base that they have to "import" students in order to have a public institution of any size (to achieve scale economies). But that doesn't mean they have to appropriate so little per in-state student. That's a choice, and it leads to really high in-state tuition.

The national average net tuition per student is $6,788. In Vermont, it's $16,727.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The flow of oil money stopped.
Residents got checks, not state taxes.
BP made huge staff cuts including my near to retirement brother-in-law and his daughter in late 2016.
Alaska is beyond broke is what my brother-in-law told me in January 2017.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
BP made huge staff cuts including my near to retirement brother-in-law and his daughter in late 2016.

The Permanent Fund still has a boatload of money. $65 billion in 2018. The state's total budget is a bit more than $8 billion per year, with a deficit of about $1.6 billion. So the Permanent Fund could cover roughly 40 years of deficits, just on current asset levels.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What would happen if Alaska eliminated their state universities all together?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

The Permanent Fund still has a boatload of money. $65 billion in 2018. The state's total budget is a bit more than $8 billion per year, with a deficit of about $1.6 billion. So the Permanent Fund could cover roughly 40 years of deficits, just on current asset levels.

Wow
My brother-in-law neglected to mention that. He is a wingnut.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Carpetbaggers have taken over education.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
What would happen if Alaska eliminated their state universities all together?
Maybe they could partner with another state, like Washington, to offer in-state tuition to their residents at another state's universities.

But, last I heard, Washington's universities are near capacity.

And that's a hell of a long way to travel to go to college -- forget coming home for spring break or Thanksgiving.

So.... I suspect thousands of kids will get shut out of access to higher education. That's not good.

On the other hand, Amazon is concerned about the sources of high-tech talent entering the workforce. Maybe they and other companies could set up mass scholarship programs. Unfortunately, that would then drain Alaska of talent.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

Wow
My brother-in-law neglected to mention that. He is a wingnut.

The firm I used to work for invested money for the Permanent Fund. It was one of our biggest clients. I didn't know the current figures, but I had reason to know that the Permanent Fund is rolling in dough.