well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this house?
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 39

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this house?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And a slightly boring one...

https://www.realtor.com/reales...H_44039_M44773-63079

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37780 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Hard to believe, but the Dean Road house is even more beautiful than we thought. It’s not nearly as lo remote, the driveway is shorter. The great room is more intimate and the turquoise paint is not nearly so obnoxious. The kitchen is perfect in every way. I took some pictures that I’ll post when I get to the laptop.

What really makes the interior, though, is the view out the windows. Every window. The grounds are simply stunning. Shade garden, sun garden, deck, pond, garden shed. Annuals, fountains, and statuary. Fully sprinkled. Rear of property drops off in to a steep ravine and the leaves are turning. One of the most beautiful pieces of property I’ve ever toured.

But:

2 1/2 landscaped acres. No way I’m going to maintain that and if something happened to me Sharon would have to let it all go. If we’re going to travel in winter we need a generator, which means propane tank. It’s $100K more than the house on Menlo Park. Farther from the lake. Farther from the kids. It’s a fabulous property but at this point in our lives it’s not going to work.

But I’ll always regret not buying it.

Just to play devils advocate, you know you don't have to landscape anything you don't want to. That's the beauty of living somewhere where there's no HOA to dictate what color mulch you use and exactly how tall the shrubs next to your front door can be. And the Dean Rd property seems like it would be fairly easy to let whatever you don't want to deal with return to woods...and it will still look beautiful.

And a generator isn't that horribly expensive. Perhaps you could negotiate a credit for installing one as part of the deal.

I can't help you with the "farther from the lake/kids" factor. And I will totally admit that I am a very emotional home buyer - both times I've bought one, it's been love at first sight, red flags be damned, and we ended up shelling out a lot of money down the line to fix pretty extensive issues. That said, I was/am madly in love with both of the houses we've owned and in my mind, waking up every morning in a space that sings to you (especially now, when travel is restricted and everyone is spending a lot more time at home) is worth far more than whatever money we've lost.

A house you'll "always regret not buying" doesn't come around every day. If I were you, I'd do some serious soul searching before I completely wrote it off. There are ways to make anything work if you want it bad enough. Big Grin

Posts: 4390 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Lisa makes a good point here.... How long are you going to be in OH Steve? Can you go back to the Dean house and the other one again? And also maybe visit the two new ones that wtg found, each have some really appealing details.

Before we bought this house, I think we visited it... Well I don't remember how many times, but in my memory it was a lot. (maybe only four times??) Anyway that did help us feel confident in the decision.

So, what's on your agenda today? Smiler

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18326 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
A bit dated, but maybe? Just came on the market.

https://www.realtor.com/reales...H_44054_M38281-28305

We really like this one! Finished basement is a nice feature. Noise rating is “Medium”, not sure why. Nice yard - fenced!

We’ll go see it. Thanks!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34842 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
So the most important question....did you go out for a Friday night perch fry????

As it turns out, fish fry is tomorrow at Jeff’s brother’s house. Walleye, though, not perch. I’m told the cheeks are the best part.

The Browns game is part of the plan and I’m really looking forward to it. Jeff’s bro is a terrific chef and always lays out a fine spread.

Posts: 34842 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:

Noise rating kills this one. To close too the turnpike.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

Jack’s first birthday party is this evening, and preparations are proceeding apace. Once they’re complete we’re going to Elyria to pick up a package and swing by the open house to see how loud the airport is.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Noise rating kills this one. To close too the turnpike.

Ah, yes. I actually saw it a few days ago and wrote it off then, but missed the turnpike the second time around ....it's just around the corner from the Pepper Ridge house you posted a while back, the one where Lisa pointed out the guard rails....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37780 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
So the most important question....did you go out for a Friday night perch fry????

As it turns out, fish fry is tomorrow at Jeff’s brother’s house. Walleye, though, not perch. I’m told the cheeks are the best part.

The Browns game is part of the plan and I’m really looking forward to it. Jeff’s bro is a terrific chef and always lays out a fine spread.

Walleye is fabulous, too!

When we used to go to the Greenwood Supper Club in Door County for the Friday fish fry, I used to order the combo platter: lake perch, walleye, whitefish, and fried shrimp.

I think the shrimp came from somewhere other than the Great Lakes....

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jack’s first birthday party is this evening, and preparations are proceeding apace. Once they’re complete we’re going to Elyria to pick up a package and swing by the open house to see how loud the airport is.

Wonderful! Enjoy your family time!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18326 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

Are you going to the open house on Hope Ct?

https://www.realtor.com/reales...H_44035_M31677-47281

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We just got back from there.

Nice house. The layout and vaulted ceilings are very similar to Dean Road. Big kitchen island is nice. Geothermal Heat/cool. Nice cul de sac location, partially fenced. Has gas available. Decent bathroom in basement.

Only downside is location. The town of Elyria has been in bad shape since both the Ford plant and the steel mill closed. House is on the edge of a nice area but downtown Elyria is only 5 miles north.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Tell us about the walleye.

Yummy

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We ended up not going to the fish fry/football game due to due to Covid concerns. It was to be a big party of rabid Browns fans and we just didn’t want to chance it.

We did get some walleye, though - fried, coconut fried, and grilled. It may be be my new favorite fish - like cod but a bit softer. Very mild. Appears to freeze well as the fish was caught over the summer.

The Tots were good, too.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We had planned to go to a park today but it’s raining so we may go look at some new tract houses. The house in Amhurst (no big loss - freeway noise) is sold (3 days!) and the only house left on the table is Menlo Park. We’ve both started to really like Menlo Park but it’s still too big. Everything else works.

I googled “Tudor kitchen“ and found this. I could roughly reproduce it for not a lot of money:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/w...ee-phvw-vp~102425784

(See all four photos)