well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this house?
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 39

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this house?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Our current front runner.

Decent neighborhood, 1990's construction, first floor MBR, all re-done, a layout we like and a nice kitchen. Very close to lake but not so close we have to worry about a seawall. Big basement.

Need to check on possible flooding issues but so far this looks like a winner.

https://www.realtor.com/reales..._M40233-64578#photo0

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34842 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Dogs allowed at the lake?

You moving to Ohio?

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ooh, I like it a lot!! And, totally move in ready, no painting needed!!

Have you seen it in person?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18326 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
Dogs allowed at the lake?

You moving to Ohio?

Jf

Yes, and yes.

We haven't seen it yet but Kim is going over there this afternoon to do some reconnaissance. Our Realtor is checking on flooding and/or other possible issues.

Posts: 34842 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I think you've found your new home.

ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37780 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Flood info:

https://floodfactor.com/proper...-ohio/392666809_fsid

Not sure how good the flood info is... when I checked my flood info and that of the other homes on my block, the ratings are inconsistent and frankly don't make much sense.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37780 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I've never seen that site before. Thanks!

The basement is built out of what appear to be unpainted concrete blocks. Am I correct that if there had been any water issues in the basement that the block would be discolored?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The foundation is interesting. It almost looks like bricks (and I don't mean concrete blocks).

How is it constructed?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Not sure. Now that I look at it again it looks like there are vertical seams every four feet or so. Makes me think it's poured concrete with a brick texture.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Steve, have you seen it in person? or do you have plans to?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18326 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We cross-posted.

The fact that the basement is unfinished and unpainted is a huge advantage because you can see what's going on.

Chronic moisture problems can show up as efflorescence.

Check the wall/floor joint; seepage tends to come in there first.

You could also check moisture levels in the floor and the walls with a moisture meter. And a humidistat.

Basements tend to be damp even in good conditions. Dehumidifiers down there are common, so if there's one there I wouldn't see it as a problem.

Is there a sump pump? If yes, how often is it going on?

What's the sewer system look like? Is it an overhead sewer, or a standard system?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Not sure. Now that I look at it again it looks like there are vertical seams every four feet or so. Makes me think it's poured concrete with a brick texture.

that makes sense. I think poured concrete is preferred.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I've never seen that site before. Thanks!

realtor.com seems to be incorporating a link to it for at least some homes. I've noticed it popping up recently; it was on the house you posted.

Like I said, not sure how much I'd rely on it. Our house is rated a 3, and adjoining neighbors are rated a 1 and a 2. We're the highest house on our (admittedly very flat) street and none of us have never flooded, not even close.

Not sure how they come up with their ratings.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Steve, have you seen it in person? or do you have plans to?

We just found it on line today. If it looks like it will pan out I may fly out next weekend to look at it.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Is there a sump pump? If yes, how often is it going on?

What's the sewer system look like? Is it an overhead sewer, or a standard system?

I can see a sump next to the laundry sink, so there must be a pump.

I have never heard of an overhead sewer system (a concept I find somewhat unnerving) but that is what I must be seeing, judging by how the sump pump is plumbed.

[edit] Oh. Laundry is in basement. Ugh.