well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this house?
Page 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this house?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
When we bought this house, we bought all of our paint at Sherwin-Williams (we ended up getting lots of discounts and it wasn't any more expensive than the options at HD or Lowes).

quote:
I know Navajo white as being the color that most apartments were painted before new tenants moved in

Re Navajo White, Steve recommended it to us, and he did say he used it for rentals.

We have it in the piano room, the hallway and the stairwell. Everywhere else we did in a color called Irish Creme. Except for our bathrooms, which have a vaguely retro black and white tile and so the walls are.... I cannot remember the color but they are a more truer white (though still warm-ish)

Andway, re Navajo White, Steve said that it can sort of take on the color tone or character of other things in the room or even outside the windows, and I have certainly found that to be true. The piano room has warm pale beige curtains (they're called Ivory Beige) that are sort of shimmery, and then my colorful, color-blocked style area rug under the piano, which has a lot of bold and warm colors in it including maroon/red, brown, ivory. Then a red chair, and very colorful art on the walls.

The Navajo White is perfect in that room, I think, because it really makes all the other items "pop" so to speak, while at the same time keeping things feeling open.

Also the curtains and other warm colors make the Navajo White a very warm shade, whereas the same paint would probably look completely different in a different house with different interior items.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Update on this house:

The guy we bought it from is still in it but he plans to move out by Christmas. Since we bought it they've had two kids and he's changed jobs so they want to be closer to the City.

This works for us, but we've changed our mind on living there. The smaller house in N. Ridgeville is just too convenient - close to the kids, close to modern shopping, closer to the City and the airport, and the smaller size is a lot more practical for daily living.

So the Lake House will be an AirBnb, the idea being we can stay there when we want to and not have to worry about cleaning it up when we leave. According to the property managers I've talked to it should be easy to keep rented at least 9 months of the year, maybe more.

I've had to put some money in to it because Lake storms have been more violent than usual. Big waves keep washing away the bottom 1/2 of the mulch in the back yard (and swept the concrete picnic table in to the lake), which may well be a recurring problem. I just contracted to have more rocks put in to replace the mulch on the lower half of the slope.

Not cheap, but with any luck I should only have to do it once.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I like that house.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
WTF Party House!!

Toga! Toga! Toga!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We’ve tried retiring to a life of quiet contemplation and just can’t do it.

2014 Shore Drive

It’s currently a VRBO rental and booked through the summer. Sold furnished. 120 years old - Eeker

What it was done over in Coastal Grandmother with less white?

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

2014 Shore Drive

I like it! Esp. the porch. The neighbor's house (the blue one?) is probably too close though.

quote:
We’ve tried retiring to a life of quiet contemplation and just can’t do it.

Wait, what?? Are you really considering moving??? (Or is this humor?)

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Looks great! Snap it up and knock yourselves out in the vacation rental business.

Oh, btw, my advisory fee is only 1% of your net vrbo income. A bargain! Wink

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

Wait, what?? Are you really considering moving??? (Or is this humor?)

No, we’re not moving. This house would be a rental/vacation place.

My initial vision of retirement was a life of reading, museums, cooking, and craft projects. I still like those things but to really feel alive I need a project!

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, we’re not moving. This house would be a rental/vacation place.

Ahh. In that case, this is perfect for that!! Keep us posted!

Speaking of which, did mortgage rates go down today? Will that benefit you?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
No, and in fact rates are likely to increase.

Shouldn't affect us much if we decide to make an offer.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
in fact rates are likely to increase.

Huh. Why did I get an email saying rates were going to go down. suave

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

My initial vision of retirement was a life of reading, museums, cooking, and craft projects. I still like those things but to really feel alive I need a project!

Chicago can be quite lovely. And I have *lots* of projects to keep you engaged.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's a project house for Steve. Located not too far from me...

https://www.realtor.com/reales...L_60005_M82757-65003

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
An interesting take on open concept. Check out the installation on the range hood....

https://www.realtor.com/reales...L_60074_M88175-01934

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
An interesting take on open concept.

Indeed! I don't hate it... but I don't like open concept so...

quote:
Check out the installation on the range hood....

I don't like those wires...