well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this house?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 39

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this house?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had *exactly* the same thought....

Great minds... Ole

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Those are all nice towns, but Ohio does property taxes strangely. Many of the towns mentioned are in Cuyohoga County, which has a property tax rate some 3X that of Lorain County to the West. I don't know about Summit or Lake County.

I see Avon and Avon Lake mentioned - two nice Lorain County towns - close to the kids with very nice neighborhoods. If we go inland we'll look there, or North Ridgeville.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I think everything Lisa says is on the money, and after sleeping on it I don't think this house is going to work. Too big, too many renovations needed, too expensive to furnish.

That's been a problem looking at the lake. Everything is either lake cabins built in the 50's or giant houses where they have torn down a lake cabin and built something new. The prices are attractive by CA standards but the maintenance on those is going to be more than I want to do.

So we keep looking, and maybe we give up on the lake and buy a nice, newer house inland, closer to the kids. The selection is much broader in the 'burbs.

Don't forget that in the north, heating square footage you don't need is not something you want to do. Plus property taxes are higher for a bigger house.

The first house you linked to looks nice and serviceable. I personally don't like open concept living or cool gray colors, but you may!

However if dogs are not allowed on the beach, that would be a deal breaker for me.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I showed mr wtg the contemporary ranch house with the open floor plan and blue decor.

We're both ready to move to Cleveland. We just love that house.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
I think everything Lisa says is on the money, and after sleeping on it I don't think this house is going to work. Too big, too many renovations needed, too expensive to furnish.

That's been a problem looking at the lake. Everything is either lake cabins built in the 50's or giant houses where they have torn down a lake cabin and built something new. The prices are attractive by CA standards but the maintenance on those is going to be more than I want to do.

So we keep looking, and maybe we give up on the lake and buy a nice, newer house inland, closer to the kids. The selection is much broader in the 'burbs.

Don't forget that in the north, heating square footage you don't need is not something you want to do. Plus property taxes are higher for a bigger house.

The first house you linked to looks nice and serviceable. I personally don't like open concept living or cool gray colors, but you may!

However if dogs are not allowed on the beach, that would be a deal breaker for me.
Utilities in that part of the Ohio are absurdly cheap. My daughter pays less to heat and cool her house in Obio than I do mine here in California.

The combined gas and electric bill on that gigantic house on the lake are less than $200 a month year round.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I showed mr wtg the contemporary ranch house with the open floor plan and blue decor.

We're both ready to move to Cleveland. We just love that house.

Stay out of Cuyahoga county. The taxes will eat you alive.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:

Utilities in that part of the Ohio are absurdly cheap. My daughter pays less to heat and cool her house in Obio than I do mine here in California.

The combined gas and electric bill on that gigantic house on the lake are less than $200 a month year round.

I paid $64/mo in Missoula, on average. In the Queen City we are averaging $200/mo and think that is ridiculous. Why is power so expensive in a place without winter?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:Why is power so expensive in a place without winter?

Enron and deregulation gone wrong. It's what caused Gray Davis' impeachment and the Governator to take over.

California will be paying for it forever. Upside is that the Governator did away with gerrymandering so there is that.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Here's another one. 5 miles from the kids - a plus. Ground floor MBR and laundry - both real plusses. Finished basement.

Ignore the wallpaper, I can deal with that. Wood floor is nice, bath floors and finishes not so much. Nice Heatilator fireplace - haven't had one of those since I was a little kid in MN.

Pool is interesting. I've had pools before but never in that climate. I called a pool company and there is a bit of a war dance you have to do spring and fall to keep it safe over the winter. Doesn't sound terribly difficult but the service I called gets $500 in fall and another $500 in Spring to do the work so there may be more to it than I think.

5266 Case Road

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
This one leaves me kinda cold.

Not a fan of the kitchen (some really odd stacked kitchen cabinets) or the tile floors. Ceramic tile is hard on old knees, and in that climate if it's not a heated floor, they're cold as heck during the winter.

The pool is a definite negative. I have a friend who is a real estate appraiser. I don't know what the current figure is, but a decade ago an in ground pool reduced the value of the home by $10 to 15K. Also makes the house harder to sell because a lot of people don't want the work or the liability.

It's also a lot of house to furnish and to heat. Taxes aren't cheap. It's like you'd be living on the first floor and the whole second floor would probably only get used when you had guests.

I'd be taking a pass.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good bit of new construction in the area. And the subject property seems to be priced higher than others in the area. Wonder how well it would do down the road when you went to sell it.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
1. I agree with WTG about pools. We categorically ruled out any house that had a pool, no question.

2. There are lots of things I like about the house, but almost all the rooms have wallpaper you'll have to re-do and probably carpeting as well. Do you really want to take on that large of a project?

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I can see WTG's point regarding the kitchen, but personally it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. But seriously, what would you put in those cabinets up above the stove? A dead body? They're like 12 feet off the ground!

I do like the house overall, though.

As far as the pool, I'd be skeptical. My in-laws had an in ground pool on Long Island, an area that is milder than where you would be. It was a headache all the time. I assume it's not plaster (because it's too cold). They had to replace their lining every 10 years or so, and it wasn't cheap. They also had the pool closing and opening ceremonies, and paid someone to do that. I'm not sure how much it cost them, but they complained about it all the time. Smiler

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was a headache all the time.

This. This is my impression of in-ground pools. Yes

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The family room looks like it would be hard to furnish. It looks really big, especially with the vaulted ceiling, but when you look closely you can see that furniture placement would be a real challenge.

Look at the overhead view photo. There's a large sofa pretty much blocking the entire opening between the family room and adjoining eating area. The TV is on the opposite wall, so I can understand why they did that, but it doesn't look very inviting.

Lots of space, no place to put furniture. One wall is occupied by the fireplace and the other is where the TV is. I wonder if they have floor outlets so you can put lamps on tables in the middle of the room and not just around the perimeter. It's something people don't think about with open concept floor plans. They can be a real challenge.

Bazootiehead-in-training