well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this house?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 39

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this house?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Have not figured out where the laundry is. Kind of doesn't matter - with that much space I am sure I can carve out something.

Would cost a fortune to furnish, especially as Mrs. Miller has decreed that there is very little in this house worth paying to move. HairRaising I wonder how much they would leave? I especially like the art work...

Looking at the basement photos, it's connected to two different sewer systems - a real plus. ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I don't like cabinets like that because it makes perfectly nice people buy plastic plants."

ROTFLMAO

The new house looks very nice! I’ll take a closer look tomorrow.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18431 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
So the oak stained case and base is pretty era-specific - just from looking at the photos, I dated the house to late 80s/early 90s. I suspect that may be part of the reason it hasn't sold - it's pretty dated and it doesn't look like a lot of updates have been done. The honey oak cabinets/stairway/trim, those oak slab-looking doors, the giant brass/beveled glass light fixture in the entryway, the pastel carpet colors (even in the bathroom!) that sunken tub with the pastel trimmed tiles -- all of it screams late 80s/early 90s. That said, this is all cosmetic and nothing you can't easily fix (or keep, if it's your thing!).

The exterior is gorgeous -- again, perhaps a bit dated (there was a tudor revival going on out here in the late 70s/early 80s - I would think this house would have been built on the tail end of it) but if it's well done, it's a classic style and it seems to suit the lot very well. The backyard and location seem amazing!

Just make sure you check things like the windows - there was lots of cheap crappy construction going on back then and windows of that age are probably due for replacement anyway unless they were top of the line. The basement walls look to be that same weird block - must be an Ohio thing. Unlike the other house, the basement walls are painted as is the floor, which can simply be a way to make the basement look nice and bright but can also be a quick and dirty way to cover up water issues so have your inspector check carefully.

The way antiques are laid out on the beds in some of the bedroom photos makes me think this may be some kind of estate sale situation, in which case you could probably offer on whatever furnishings you'd want and the sellers would probably be thrilled. On the other hand, there'd be no one to rent back from you....

That picture of the sad lonely exercise bike in the basement looks like an artistic shot of a torture chamber! Big Grin

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I think everything Lisa says is on the money, and after sleeping on it I don't think this house is going to work. Too big, too many renovations needed, too expensive to furnish.

That's been a problem looking at the lake. Everything is either lake cabins built in the 50's or giant houses where they have torn down a lake cabin and built something new. The prices are attractive by CA standards but the maintenance on those is going to be more than I want to do.

So we keep looking, and maybe we give up on the lake and buy a nice, newer house inland, closer to the kids. The selection is much broader in the 'burbs.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
edit: I posted after Steve said they weren't considering the Edison Estates house.

+1 to everything Lisa said! Including the exercise bike.... Big Grin

I would add that the floor plan isn't open concept, which seems to be the fad right now. And the furniture and decor don't look like they came out of Pottery Barn, which seems to be the fastest way to sell these days.

I love the back yard and deck. I wonder what kind of shape the deck is in. It looks like it might be original to the house.

The satellite photo on Google seems to show an open area sort behind the subject property. Maybe just another empty lot.

I also noticed some info on the association's website talking about beach erosion on the lake and the record setting lake levels. It sounded like the subdivision must have done some sort of lakeshore erosion mitigation project. I wonder if that resulted in some sort of assessment, and if so, for how much.

I wonder if the house is overpriced for the area. I found this house that's under contract that is similar in many ways but doesn't have the lake view and that is farther away from the lake in general. In the photos at least, it shows much better in many respects and is substantially less expensive.

https://www.realtor.com/reales...M43059-80559?view=qv

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Not on the lake and in a somewhat higher price range....but I love this house....

https://www.realtor.com/reales...M42226-88732?view=qv

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I wonder if the house is overpriced for the area. I found this house that's under contract that is similar in many ways but doesn't have the lake view and that is farther away from the lake in general. In the photos at least, it shows much better in many respects and is substantially less expensive.

https://www.realtor.com/reales...M43059-80559?view=qv

There are several nice houses for sale in Indian Ridge, the only drawback being no lake view. The amenities have appeal, but if we can't see the lake we may as well look farther inland.

Interesting that this house, listed at $299K, sold for $296K in 2002.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
a nice, newer house inland

I really think this is the way to go. Global warming (and the concurrent flood risks) are just going to get worse.... Frowner

Posts: 18431 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I see that kind of pricing around here a lot. The 2008 crash was so deep it's taken a long time for prices to recover.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
WTG, wow, that's a beautiful house. I don't usually like colored wall paint, but in that context I even like the blue there!

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Steve why did you decide against the original house in this post? I kind of liked it!

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Steve why did you decide against the original house in this post? I kind of liked it!

It's on the smaller side - 1600 SF. The neighborhood is OK but pretty run down. The only ground floor bath is the master bath. No real view.

The real killer is being right on Lake Road, which is pretty busy. Mrs. Miller worries about what might happen if a dog - or grandchild - slipped out the front door.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
WTG, wow, that's a beautiful house. I don't usually like colored wall paint, but in that context I even like the blue there!

I had *exactly* the same thought....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Steve, like LA, the San Gabriel Valley anyway, there are a lot of little towns around there that got swallowed up by suburban sprawl, but still have very nice downtowns and a sense of community. I'd suggest you look at some of those, or even down in the Cuyahoga Valley area. Beautiful.

I echo Mrs. Miller's concerns about Lake Avenue. The Baldwin Wallace College area - Berea - is nice as well.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
https://www.onlyinyourstate.co...ced-towns-cleveland/

Hudson is nice too.

https://www.niche.com/places-t...leveland-metro-area/

https://www.onlyinyourstate.co...iny-towns-cleveland/

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post