well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this house?
Page 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this house?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
YAY! Congratulations, Steve!!

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Accessible Beige

I love thinking about these colors again!

I think AB might be too dark?

What about SW Eider White?

We have Navajo White in our house, you can see in the thread I started about gray

http://well-temperedforum.grou...433/m/3453902697/p/2

IIRC, when Steve recommended it to me, one of the things he said was that it sort of picks up the colors of whatever is around it, which I have found to be very accurate. We have Navajo White in the piano room (in that photo in the thread above) and it looks very creamy and warm, and we also have it in the hallway and in a stairwell, and it practically looks like a different color, except it's not so it matches.

To me, that's perfect!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Miller just loves the Sea Salt color and wants to use it in the big room. When I told her Mik liked it that sealed the deal. “He is obviously has good taste.” I’m pretty much staying out of it but if we get stuck Navajo White always works.

I still want to leave ceilings white - they’re probably “Swiss Coffee”. It’s another all-purpose white that looks good good with everything. LL (where is she?) doesn’t care for this look which makes sense. She goes for a more authentic period look.

My standard apartment paint scheme was Navajo White walls with Swiss Coffee ceilings and trim. One trick I’ve used is to bring the Swiss Coffee ceiling color down about 12” on the walls. It makes the ceiling look taller. If you like more saturated color (and many do), another designer trick is to do the ceiling in a 25% let down of the wall color - which is to say mix the wall with 25% white. People will remark on how well the ceiling color goes with the walls. Of course it does - it’s the same color. Doesn’t work well with red, however, unless you like pink.

I’d like to excise gray from the overall scheme. The weak light in Ohio makes gray look depressing to me, and I can’t imagine spending a winter with it. Hell, I don’t like it in Mesa and light is not a problem there.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
PS. I’m glad you like the Navajo White. It seems to make everyone happy.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m glad you like the Navajo White. It seems to make everyone happy.

It really does! ThumbsUp

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
California house is sold. We’re out of here in 60 days. Eeker

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Incredible! Big changes for the Miller's! May all go smoothly. And I love your ceiling remedies. You could also run chair rail, perhaps, along the edge of the 12" color drop from the ceiling. Gives a more historic house flavor. That, is, if you have a historic house.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Upstairs is to be contemporary. My Craftsman/cowboy stuff is going in the basement which is fine with me. I’ve been given input as to color palate to adjust for the weak Ohio light but other than insisting on a really comfortable chair in front of the TV I don’t care. Mrs Miller always does a great job.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Mrs. Miller just loves the Sea Salt color and wants to use it in the big room. When I told her Mik liked it that sealed the deal. “He is obviously has good taste.” I’m pretty much staying out of it but if we get stuck Navajo White always works.

I still want to leave ceilings white - they’re probably “Swiss Coffee”. It’s another all-purpose white that looks good good with everything. LL (where is she?) doesn’t care for this look which makes sense. She goes for a more authentic period look.

My standard apartment paint scheme was Navajo White walls with Swiss Coffee ceilings and trim. One trick I’ve used is to bring the Swiss Coffee ceiling color down about 12” on the walls. It makes the ceiling look taller. If you like more saturated color (and many do), another designer trick is to do the ceiling in a 25% let down of the wall color - which is to say mix the wall with 25% white. People will remark on how well the ceiling color goes with the walls. Of course it does - it’s the same color. Doesn’t work well with red, however, unless you like pink.

I’d like to excise gray from the overall scheme. The weak light in Ohio makes gray look depressing to me, and I can’t imagine spending a winter with it. Hell, I don’t like it in Mesa and light is not a problem there.
I have another friend in Delaware who used Sea Salt for her first floor. It looks terrific.

I do the same thing for ceilings. Take a ceiling white and tint it 25% of the wall color. Softens things up nicely and still looks white. Learned that from an interior designer.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
California house is sold. We’re out of here in 60 days. Eeker

Wow!! Congrats!!!

Time will now suddenly speed up for you!

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
happydance Congratulations!!!!

Change is GOOD! Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I like it as it is.
I could sleep for days yawn there.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your new house in Ohio.

Don’t put anything into the basement until you’re sure that the basement floor stays dry.

Being from Southern California, you’re going to be needing some cold weather clothes. Mittens are warmer than gloves. I have both. On the really cold days such as below 30 F, I wear mittens. For gloves, I still have my original military issue gloves. They’ve held up well after all these years with still no tears nor holes. They consist of wool inserts that fit inside a leather shell. You can get them at Army and Navy surplus stores. You’ll get used to the cold weather after you’ve spent a few winters here.

After you’re settled, drive up to Milwaukee for their annual Summerfest. It’s a 10 day festival on Milwaukee’s lakefront around the 4th of July. A dozen music stages and lots of restaurants. All the buildings, band stages, and rest rooms are permanent structures. A great way to spend a day. Hopefully, the epidemic will be over and back to normal in 2022.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of fleece lined Sorel boots for a ski trip about 20 years ago and haven’t worn them since. I tried them on last week and they still fit.

Maybe I’ll get a chance to wear them again! ThumbsUp

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Even if you are sure it's dry, put things up on skids in storage. As you know all concrete can pass moisture.

Oh, and Summerfest rocks. But it's quite a ways from Cleveland.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post