well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this house?
Page 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 39

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this house?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We will making an offer on this house this week:

36134 Navona, N. Ridgeville, OH

Pros:

4 years old. 10 minutes from the kids. Ranch with finished basement. Manageable yard. Too big, but half of it is basement which we may never use. Nothing to demolish, fix, change, or paint except to finish the fence. Nice tract - many of the houses are mach larger/more expensive. Tile shower - rare in newer Ohio houses. Carpet in the living room/bedrooms, hard surface elsewhere, which is what I prefer. The front bedroom will make a nice office, possibly with a Murphy bed for additional guest space.

Pond - I wonder if dogs can swim in it? Patio. Built by Drees - considered a premium builder in N. Ridgeville. Should be very energy efficient. Sheds are allowed.

Cons:

Narrow side yards. No windows on the sides - Kim's house is like that, too. Has that "Plastic Ohio house sitting in a cow pasture" look that I'm not real keen on, but that's how they do things there. Small garage, and my truck is not going to fit in it. There is no bath in the basement and no pictures of it.

This will be the house we live in for the next year or two until Sharon retires. At that point we will either sell it or make it in to a rental and move to the lake. If the lake house becomes too much to manage in our later years we can move back in.

We list our CA house tomorrow. The market here has softened a bit but I still expect it to sell quickly.

Here we go... Eeker

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh Wow! Good luck!! (on both fronts, buying & selling)

Re the house in N. Ridgeville, I like it! A lot! You def. won't have to paint or anything like that, a true turnkey! Which is saying something since I see a lot of listings boasting "turnkey" but I feel like there's about 2 months worth of work needed before someone could actually move in!

Re windows, I agree, that whole thing of no windows on the side I don't like, but with this house, that definitely mitigates the closeness to the neighbors.

Also, it seems like there are a lot of windows and good light, esp. given that there are no windows on the sides. I've seen a lot of houses like that where there are less windows, or they're smaller or whatever.

Oh boy, keep us posted, I know the market is still crazy!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18433 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking house. And as a bonus (for me, at least), it's not gray!

The narrow side lots seem to be the trend. My friend who built in Sequim, WA says that's what she's got.

I looked at the satellite photo. Looks like a lot of new development in the area.

Is that a farm across the way?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Is that a farm across the way?

I think so. Kim is going to do a video tour of it this weekend.

I'm not sure how long those farms are going to be there. N. Ridgeville is growing pretty quickly. It's not far from the freeway so I don't see traffic as being much of a problem, at least in the near future.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure how long those farms are going to be there.

I was thinking the same thing. I noticed the houses on the west side of West Shore Parkway that back up to the farm.

edit: I could see a nice pergola over that patio.....

edit2: No plastic plants on the cabinets....that could be a deal breaker....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sales history is kind of interesting. Sold in April 2018, then again in November 2019. Now up for sale again.

I wonder if people are that mobile, or if there might be something going on with the house.....hopefully Kim can pay special attention to the basement during the tour....also any possible neighbor situation....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
edit: I could see a nice pergola over that patio.....

I was thinking the same thing. Funny thing is that they are not common in that area - at all. I'm not sure why, but it may have to do with the weaker light and a desire to spend as much time in the sun as possible during the summer months. Kim's patio doesn't have a cover and they don't want one.

quote:
edit2: No plastic plants on the cabinets....that could be a deal breaker....

Big Grin

I'm trying not to get too far ahead of myself here, but the plan is to put these copper pieces on top of the kitchen cabinets.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sales history is kind of interesting. Sold in April 2018, then again in November 2019. Now up for sale again.

Good advice.

I know that the 2018 sale is from when it was new. The current owner is a single woman moving to Hawaii and I'm not sure why she would move after only one year. I've read the disclosures and I don't see anything, but it does seem a bit odd.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Might just be a regional thing with the pergolas. We see quite a few of them around here, even in yards that have mature trees in them. I think they help anchor the space and make it seem more inviting.

Plus people love to hang those solar powered string lights from them; they add a really nice touch for evening gatherings....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Funny about those solar string lights. People are crazy about them.

The property manager in Mesa insisted that we install some - said the place would be hard to rent without them. They're certainly inexpensive and I'll probably install them as well.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Looks nice, and like the start of an adventure. Good luck!

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The current owner is a single woman moving to Hawaii and I'm not sure why she would move after only one year.

This doesn't bother me. When someone is making such a dramatic move, I tend to think it's for work, relationships, something like that. Moving from Ohio to Hawaii, to me, says "life changes," not "crappy house or "horrible neighbors."

If the current owner is moving to the next subdivision over, then that would worry me.

When we bought this house, I asked when the owners were selling. The answer I got was that the husband was self-employed, but wife was a schoolteacher in another town and they were moving so she wouldn't have an hour one-way to commute. That seemed like a pretty good reason to me.

Still, Steve, this would be something to ask about.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18433 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I've lost track of how many houses you might have bought or are buying. Lol.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Really Nice house! Hope you can add a little color to the insides…

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Hope you can add a little color to the insides…

Mrs. Miller is on the job!