well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this house?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 39

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this house?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Hey! The house next door is up for sale, too. Just about ready to close. Price history is kind of interesting. Been on the market for a while.

Also read the description.

https://www.realtor.com/reales...M40130-79178?view=qv

edit: Here's another one. It's the house to buy when you want to host WTFers. 10 bedrooms, 5 baths.

Alternatively, could be the WTF old folks retirement home.

https://www.realtor.com/reales...M40661-24510?view=qv

Another "entertainment friendly" house:

https://www.realtor.com/reales...M32867-97446?view=qv

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
10 bedrooms, 5 baths.

Ok, here's my paranoid thought:

Do you want to live next to a 10 bedroom house?? Isn't that going to be purchased by someone who will try to do AirBnB??

Sorry, wrong house.

Whew.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
That Edgewater McMansion.... I think they must have ordered all the statues in the house from McMansion-R-Us...

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
House next door has some seriously sketchy carpet in one of the bedrooms. Looks like a LOT of pet accidents. Wonder if there's a stench that kept it on the market for so long.

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I have two thoughts:

1. The house looks really nice.

2. I am hiring the WTF community as consultants the next time I am house-hunting.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am hiring the WTF community as consultants the next time I am house-hunting.

Yes

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
My in-laws have a sink on an island facing the dining table and living room. I guess you can chat while scraping mac 'n' cheez off the plates. Theirs has a backsplash -- maybe four or six inches high that becomes an elevated counter around the rest of the island (barstool height). I'd be more concerned about the lack of a backsplash than just having the sink hanging out there in the middle of everything.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Oh dear. The house hunt has taken a turn.

Google "4165 Menlo Park, Vermilion, OH." It's a few dollars more, but what a house!

It's WAY too big, but ticks all the boxes. Lake view without lakefront hassles. 1st floor MBR, ground floor office. Room for everyone - and their friends too. Downside is that I can't imagine a guy like me living in a house like this.

Beat me up for looking at more house than any two people can possibly use, but do you see issues?

[edit] What are your thoughts on the "painted walls and stained "base and case" scheme? You never see it here but it appears to be popular in OH. Do you like it or do I paint it all out?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Just took a quick look and it seems very nice. Will take a closer look tomorrow and try to figure out the floor plan.

It's been up for sale since the end of March. How's the market out there? I thought it was pretty good. Wondering why it hasn't been snatched up.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Just took a quick look and it seems very nice. Will take a closer look tomorrow and try to figure out the floor plan.

It's been up for sale since the end of March. How's the market out there? I thought it was pretty good. Wondering why it hasn't been snatched up.

I'm wondering the same thing, but it might mean they will take our contingent offer and possibly rent back - which would be awesome because moving in to a house during an Ohio winter has little appeal.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Re the stained base and case....it is very common in Wisconsin. We did it in our house up there at least in part because we thought it would make the house more saleable if it reflected local style.

Down here we see a mix. Some houses have painted trim, others are stained.

I'm ok with either approach from a design perspective.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
One thing that comes to mind is whether the owners are smokers.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
so there's nice open space between the two houses across the street so you have a view of the lake.

And the park down the street is really nice.

https://www.google.com/maps/pl...295296!4d-82.3342739

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The house across the street is built on three lots. I doubt he'll build on the empty lot any time soon. Lake view without lake front.

I notice that part of the kitchen has the Ohio standard of cabinets that don't go to the ceiling. Part of it has a soffit but part of it doesn't.

Every time I see that, I am reminded of what Josh Waggoner once said on this forum:

"I don't like cabinets like that because it makes perfectly nice people buy plastic plants."

Cool

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There's an association; fees are modest.

https://www.edison-estates.com/home/

And it has that same bricky-looking foundation....that must be an OH thing....

Bazootiehead-in-training