well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this house?
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 39

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this house?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I like the house itself but don't think I'd want to live that close to the neighbors. I think the overhead view really killed it for me.

I wonder if you can even put in a fence.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37743 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
OMG the satellite view of that whole neighborhood is insane - it's like someone was playing a game of how many houses can I possibly squeeze into this small space. It looks like the monopoly board after you build 4 houses on every property.

The wooded backyard with the lake is nice and it would be awesome to be so close to a nature preserve like that. And it looks like they have a bunch of smaller ponds and water features scattered within the streets themselves (which could be nice, but also makes me wonder if they are mosquito breeding grounds in the summer). But that neighborhood is just way too close together for my comfort.

Also, it looks like they put the cheapest roof shingles possible on that house. The one to the right of it has nice dimensional shingles but on the one you are looking at (and the one to the left), especially in the overhead closeup, you can almost see the outlines of the sheathing or felt paper or something through them - there's weird rectangular lines in them.

Posts: 4389 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder if you can even put in a fence.

Good point, there's probably a HOA and strict rules...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18306 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Amber Way is under contract.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37743 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
And now for something completely different.

This house belongs to my cousin Craig, who hosted a dinner/wake after my Uncle's funeral service. And what a wake it was! Dinner was fresh local salmon - the best I've ever tasted. We drank wine and told stories well in to the morning hours, so much so that I missed my flight out on Saturday. More on that later.

The key feature of this house is the spectacular view of Puget sound you can see through the trees. The realtor's photos don't do it justice. It's built on the side of a hill and has some five levels with short stairways connecting each - not for us but very dramatic. The house was in good shape when they bought it but they have all sorts of plans (mental and blueprint) to rework pretty much the whole thing.

The pictures are from when they bought it in January.

Cyrus Lane, Edmonds, WA

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34825 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Nice house!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Yowza!

We just did a face time tour of a house that's for sale by owner. It's as close to perfect as any we have seen, with 100 ft. of lake frontage and a new seawall that the owner says cost some $200K a few years back.

It's expensive but we just learned that the way the taxes work we need to spend more than we thought to take advantage of a 1031 exchange. We also learned that we'll have to rent it out for some 2 years so we'll probably be looking for another temporary house.

Owner is sending pictures and I'll post them when I get them.

Posts: 34825 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
We also learned that we'll have to rent it out for some 2 years

Why, because you'll stay in CA for that time?

Anyway, looking forward to pics!

I love your cousin's house btw!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18306 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
We also learned that we'll have to rent it out for some 2 years

Why, because you'll stay in CA for that time?

No, it's because in order to keep from having to pay tax on the gain, and having to pay back accumulated depreciation, we have to do a "1031 exchange". That requires that the replacement property be rented out for 2 years.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
What do you think of this house?

https://www.realtor.com/reales...H_44039_M94684-89790

Third bedroom is on lower level....might not work for you/be good for resale....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Nice! ThumbsUp

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I like that house a lot, but I can't wait to see the FSBO that Steve describes - it sounds amazing!!!

Posts: 4389 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Pressed for time here, but this is what it's all about. The house is nice too - completely rebuilt from the studs a few years ago. I'll post more tomorrow.

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Wow that looks amazing. I assume the blue garage to the right in the photo isn't yours? The only thing I question is where you store all the outdoor furniture that's down on the lakeside terrace in the winter/during storms because I don't see a garage. Possibly that's a corner of a shed I see just to the left of the house (though maybe it's just a gate in the fence??)? Anyhow, that looks awesome and I can't wait to see more photos!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I want that one.
More pictures, please.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25668 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post