well-temperedforum.groupee.net
What do you think of this house?

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/9363919497

15 October 2020, 01:53 PM
ShiroKuro
What do you think of this house?
quote:

Oh, I like this one a lot! Although remind me never to watch one of those video tours again! I'm totally seasick video-sick now! suave

Mr. SK wants to know why these listings almost never include floor plans.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

15 October 2020, 02:21 PM
Mikhailoh
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Too much work but a fascinating house.

Classic MCM.

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...4035/34590009_zpid/?
Love this place, but that is a LOT of wallpaper to get shed of. I guess thye must do that brick basement wall texture up there. They don't down here at all.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

15 October 2020, 02:23 PM
Mikhailoh
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:

Oh, I like this one a lot! Although remind me never to watch one of those video tours again! I'm totally seasick video-sick now! suave

Mr. SK wants to know why these listings almost never include floor plans.
Pretty pricey for a vinyl sided house that is pretty obvioulsy a flip. Builder grade carpet and what looks to be laminate or vinyl 'wood'.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

16 October 2020, 05:39 PM
Steve Miller
Greetings from NW Ohio!

The weather here is perfect! 50’s and crystal clear. It rained yesterday and everything is clean and fresh.

By the time we got here there were only two houses to see, Menlo Park and Dean Road.

Menlo Park first. This house looks much better in person than it does in the pictures. The outside is smaller and not as ostentatious. The driveway is nice and short. The roof is 10 years old. One nice maple tree. The back yard is every bit as forested as Dean Road but a more manageable size. Maintenance has slipped but not too far.

Interior layout is a bit odd but It suits me. Primary space is the kitchen/family room. Oak trim is not as yellow as it looks in the pictures. Counters are really nice, appliances have never been used. I’m wondering if I can darken the stain to a more gray-ish tone. Expensive gas cooktop and double ovens.

Behind the fireplace is a kind of anteroom that would make a good office. Behind that is a big MBR suite. It’s on the front left as you face the house and has the French doors to the little porch you can see in the pictures. Behind that are several closets and a master bath large enough to roller skate in. It’s so crazy big that there is a patio table and two chairs in it, God knows why. Laundry is off the kitchen.

Another big MBR set up upstairs with a nice lake view. 2 more big bedrooms and a huge storage area over the garage. Unfinished basement is very clean, newer HVAC. Furniture is all available and I like a lot of it.

The private lakeside park is two houses down and really nice. HOA maintains it and a few other things for $220/year. Neighborhood is very nice.

Bottom line is that it’s really close to the lakefront dream we started out looking for. It’s too big but maybe we don’t care.

Only thing I can’t resolve is the style. The Windows/details are Tudor/Craftsman, the fireplace Southwest and the kitchen is oak tract traditional. Master bath is Golden Girls Florida moderne.

We’re thinking about it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

16 October 2020, 05:41 PM
wtg
edit: I see we cross-posted.

quote:
Needs tons of updating and I can't figure out the floor plan.

Already has a generator!

https://www.realtor.com/reales...H_44001_M30761-27479

I see it's Pending. I'm assuming someone beat you to it.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

16 October 2020, 06:29 PM
Steve Miller
Hard to believe, but the Dean Road house is even more beautiful than we thought. It’s not nearly as lo remote, the driveway is shorter. The great room is more intimate and the turquoise paint is not nearly so obnoxious. The kitchen is perfect in every way. I took some pictures that I’ll post when I get to the laptop.

What really makes the interior, though, is the view out the windows. Every window. The grounds are simply stunning. Shade garden, sun garden, deck, pond, garden shed. Annuals, fountains, and statuary. Fully sprinkled. Rear of property drops off in to a steep ravine and the leaves are turning. One of the most beautiful pieces of property I’ve ever toured.

But:

2 1/2 landscaped acres. No way I’m going to maintain that and if something happened to me Sharon would have to let it all go. If we’re going to travel in winter we need a generator, which means propane tank. It’s $100K more than the house on Menlo Park. Farther from the lake. Farther from the kids. It’s a fabulous property but at this point in our lives it’s not going to work.

But I’ll always regret not buying it.

16 October 2020, 06:43 PM
wtg
Our house in Door County was on a dead end street and we used to take the dogs out for walks up and down the road. We'd run into neighbors out for walks (with and without dogs) and got to know people, but even so it felt more than a bit isolated. I don't think that it would have been easy to meet neighbors on Dean Road because it is a thru street, and I suspect that you might have felt pretty isolated.

Sounds like a wonderful property. But I can totally see passing on it.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

16 October 2020, 07:12 PM
ShiroKuro
quote:
It’s so crazy big that there is a patio table and two chairs in it, God knows why.

ROTFLMAO

(Ok, still reading, will comment more soon...)

16 October 2020, 07:14 PM
ShiroKuro
quote:
HOA maintains it and a few other things for $220/year.

Really?? Not $220/month??

16 October 2020, 07:16 PM
wtg
It's $20 a month; I posted about it way back when Steve originally talked about the Menlo house. The association website talked about the shoreline erosion prevention work they had done recently....

Bazootiehead-in-training

16 October 2020, 07:20 PM
ShiroKuro
Re Dean Rd. ... too bad! We'll always have our memories! Big Grin

But yeah, the size of the lot, that's something to consider. We have 0.75 of an acre, and some of it is wooded, but Mr. SK spends a lot of time on it, I haven't imagine having much more than that!

BTW I may have said this in a different thread, but since covid started, I have gotten in the habit of walking around our yard (i.e., literally, around the perimeter, for several laps). It's more shady and less hilly than walking through the neighborhood, and 3/4 of it is private. I have come to really love being able to do that!

/threaddrift

So back to the Menlo Park house, I think it sounds pretty great.

Are you planning to decide this weekend?

16 October 2020, 08:30 PM
Steve Miller
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Re Dean Rd. ... too bad! We'll always have our memories! Big Grin

But yeah, the size of the lot, that's something to consider. We have 0.75 of an acre, and some of it is wooded, but Mr. SK spends a lot of time on it, I haven't imagine having much more than that!

BTW I may have said this in a different thread, but since covid started, I have gotten in the habit of walking around our yard (i.e., literally, around the perimeter, for several laps). It's more shady and less hilly than walking through the neighborhood, and 3/4 of it is private. I have come to really love being able to do that!

/threaddrift

So back to the Menlo Park house, I think it sounds pretty great.

Are you planning to decide this weekend?

Maybe. The deal has a lot of moving parts having to do with our having to sell various things. We’ll have to see what they think of contingencies and such.

16 October 2020, 08:36 PM
wtg
So the most important question....did you go out for a Friday night perch fry????

Bazootiehead-in-training

16 October 2020, 08:41 PM
Steve Miller
quote:
So the most important question....did you go out for a Friday night perch fry????

Nope. Someone told us we had to have some sandwiches from a chain called Mr. Hero. We did that and weren’t disappointed.

I could tell you 1000 reasons why I should not like Mr. Hero but the fact is it was really really good.

17 October 2020, 09:03 AM
wtg
A bit dated, but maybe? Just came on the market.

https://www.realtor.com/reales...H_44054_M38281-28305

Bazootiehead-in-training