well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this house?
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 39

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this house?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
3665 Elizabeth Drive Vermilion

Yes, lots to like in this house!!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
This one just came up. Same neighborhood as the house on Brownhelm Station. Ticks most of the boxes, nice yard. Not real exciting but certainly a nice house. Some of the finishes would need to upgraded but the low price makes up for that.

3665 Elizabeth Drive Vermilion

This is is better than the last...newer neigbhorhood too..I see a new build next door and and an empty lot across the street (google street view). You could easily upgrade the countertops and the master bedroom.

That basement is as clean as a whistle! My least favorite part of a house is the basement and it my final check off. If it is wet in any way, I am outta there! No sump pumps for me!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Looks like a possibility. Landscaping is attractive and the neighborhood looks established. Seems to be well cared for and changes would be largely cosmetic.

Satellite view:

https://www.google.com/maps/pl...209595!4d-82.3212583

Drive around the neighborhood:

https://www.google.com/maps/@4...Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Empty lots in the neighborhood, and as BL said, news construction nearby. Maybe you should build your own house!

Looks like you'd be in the middle of the woods and you're not too far from the lake. Might be good to check zoning just to be sure you know what could go in around you.

Classic car place just down the road!

Can't quite figure out the floor plan, so I'm a little lost. Does anyone know where the living room is relative to the kitchen and dining room?

The stair landing is a bit odd. You can go up a step and then down on the other side to get to the dining room and kitchen. Looks like no formal dining space, which wouldn't be a problem for me. But there's no living space/rec room open to the kitchen, so it's not an open floor plan. Is Mrs Miller OK with that, or do you think you could open it up?

I wanna see you go down the slide.....

I'd definitely be looking into it more, but it also hasn't bowled me over. Not understanding the floor plan is definitely part of my hesitation.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Elizabeth Drive....

Not awful, not too boring, no busy intersection or highway in the yard. But not Dean St -- that house has set the bar for me, LOL! Gonna be hard to beat in my mind.

Elizabeth Drive has a very nice fenced yard. Looks like it will take quite a bit of weeding to reclaim the swingset (and if neglected, the swingset may be beyond reclaiming - ours completely rotted before we took it down - so check it and if it isn't in good shape, make the sellers get rid of it, as when we had to do it, it was a pain!)

Aesthetically the colors are a bit stuck in the early 2000s but nothing awful. Basement looks clean and dry, but why is there a hose running the full length of it (looks like maybe a drain hose for the dehumidifier connecting to a sump pit or other outside drain for the AC condensate or somesuch? Also is there only one electrical outlet in that whole basement? That would explain why the dehumidifier is way over there and needs a 30 foot drain hose and also the quantity of orange extension cords that seem to be trailing all over the floor too. Course I'm sure you can rectify a lack of outlets, LOL! The basement also looks to have an escape hatch window so you could finish it into a bedroom or whatever.

Honestly, the things that bother me most about that house are just my own taste specific hangups. The whole house looks to have weirdly textured ceilings which isn't really common in newer builds out here. I've only ever seen it done in budget construction when the drywaller doesn't want to take the time to get the ceilings nice and smooth so he just textures everything. It can be a pain in the butt to paint and god help you if you ever have a leak and have to repair it and match the texture. Also, I don't like how dominant and forward-sitting the garage is relative to the rest of the house. Looks like that's a popular style on that street judging from google street view (though most of the other houses don't seem to be set quite as far back from the garage front as this one), but every time I see a house like that, I want to strangle whatever architect decided that the front elevation of the house should be all GIANT GARAGE with itty-bitty-looking house set way back and off to the side.

Again, though, those are just my weird hangups. It does seem like a very nice house that doesn't require huge amounts of updating or upkeep and has a very nice yard for the dogs and grandkids!

But did I mention it's not Dean St???? Big Grin

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And it has that brick imprint thing on the foundation.

And writing on the walls.

Must be Ohio things....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Elizabeth Drive....

Not awful, not too boring, no busy intersection or highway in the yard. But not Dean St -- that house has set the bar for me, LOL! Gonna be hard to beat in my mind.

Guess I'll be fighting *both* SK and you for the guest bedroom on Dean ....

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Elizabeth Drive....

Guess I'll be fighting *both* SK and you for the guest bedroom on Dean ....

Ole

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
The whole house looks to have weirdly textured ceilings which isn't really common in newer builds out here.

It's called "skip trowel", and it is not common here either except in older homes. I kind of like it - it's a craftsmanship-y thing that not many guys know how to do any more. Kim's house is 2 years old and has a similar texture.

quote:
But did I mention it's not Dean St???? Big Grin

There is that. We're going to look at the Dean Road house a week from Friday and I hope it is just so perfect we are knocked off of our feet, throw caution to the winds, and buy it on the spot. Realistically though, that location probably isn't going to work.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Can't quite figure out the floor plan, so I'm a little lost. Does anyone know where the living room is relative to the kitchen and dining room?

If you look at photo #8, you can see the living room past the dining table and a little bit of the stair landing to the right of the china cabinet.

Mrs. Miller wants the wall between the kitchen and living room removed. I'm sure it's possible but probably won't be cheap.

The stair landing is a bit odd. You can go up a step and then down on the other side to get to the dining room and kitchen. Looks like no formal dining space, which wouldn't be a problem for me. But there's no living space/rec room open to the kitchen, so it's not an open floor plan. Is Mrs Miller OK with that, or do you think you could open it up?

I wanna see you go down the slide.....

I'd definitely be looking into it more, but it also hasn't bowled me over. Not understanding the floor plan is definitely part of my hesitation.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes. I saw photo 8 and the adjoining living room earlier, but the connection flew out of my head a second later.... duh

Taking out that wall could work.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What goes around comes around. Back to this one. Mrs. Miller and Kim really like it.

The only complaint I can register against this house is that I would feel like Jed Clampett every time I drove up to it. Upside is that there is plenty of room for visitors and Mrs. Miller is looking forward to meeting every one of you. Another upside is that I can see the lake and if I can have that fireplace I’ll remodel the entire house to suit.

https://www.realtor.com/reales...H_44089_M48633-13028

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post

This is me.

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
That house is very cool. And it has the skiptrowel ceilings that you like. (But **cough** it's not Dean Rd **cough** -- though I guess the lake view kinda makes up for it, LOL!)

Again, I would check the windows carefully to see if they are still in good shape. I don't even know if you can get the kind that look like they have the little leaded-glass diamonds in them anymore - I bet they are custom and big $$$ if they need replaced. (Side note, I officially talk like a Philadelphian now: "need replaced" vs "need to be replaced" or "need replacing" is local Philly vernacular that annoyed the heck out of me when I moved here and now I use it without batting an eye. Ooof.)

The owners have some really cool furniture and like I said, it kind of smells like an estate sale to me. The furniture is a strange mishmosh of midcentury and antiquey stuff. I really like the ornate mirror and the bronze statue thing in the entryway and the stained glass lamp in the bedroom with the painted room divider screen thing. The patio furniture is really cool too. If it is an estate sale and you are worried about furnishing all that space, you could see if they'd be open to either including some contents in the offer or you just make an offer separately for what you want. We are in the middle of selling Mr. Lisa's parents house and I know we would be thrilled beyond words if the buyer wants the furniture because we have no idea what to do with it -- most thrift stores around here aren't taking it and our houses are already full, and stuff we have listed on craigslist/fb marketplace isn't getting even a nibble. And the HOA won't let us put it on the curb for free.

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
/thread drift...

Lisa, when I was getting rid of some of my mom's stuff when I sold her condo, I found that once it was free, people came out of the woodwork... I had her sofa, which was a little old lady sofa but in fabulous condition, priced at $75 and no one was interested. All it needed was a slipcover or throw on it.

When I put it on CL for free because I wanted it out of my garage, I literally had 10 people contacting me within an hour pleading to let them come and pick it up....

But back to Steve's house....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
/thread drift continued -- Yes, I figure that's what we'll have to do, but Mr. Lisa's sister is in charge of the estate and she is having a hard time with the idea of just giving it all away. I think she feels like she is being frivolous with the things her parents worked so hard to earn. Plus people are so flakey anymore - even half the time you are giving something away and people stand you up or don't show up. So not looking forward to this.

Back to Steve --

I am not a tree expert, but the purple tree in the front yard looks from the photos to be a copper beech? If so, I'd buy the house just for the tree, LOL. They are amazingly gorgeous! We have one in our yard that unfortunately the previous owners saw fit to plant less than 20 feet from the house. Bad move. They easily grow 60 feet wide. Ours is currently about the same size as the one in your house's photos and we've been pruning it back hard to keep it from swallowing the house but we're going to have to cut it down someday (probably soon) and it breaks my heart to think about it. This is what they look like when fully mature -- the leaves are purple all summer and turn dark green in the fall.

There are a few on Villanova's campus where the trunk has to be at least 3 feet across and I bet the tree itself is close to 100 feet wide. Most amazing trees I've seen on the east coast.