well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What do you think of this house?
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 39

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this house?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Boston area.

--------------------------------
The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Snow country question.

Rather than making elaborate plans for generators and such to keep the pipes from freezing when the power goes out, is it possible to set it up where you can blow all the water out of the lines if you’re gonna be gone for a while?

Does anybody do that?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

But don’t you have to remove all the extra snow on the sidewalks on the side of the house?

Depends.

I have 276 frontage. No, I do not shovel out front. Just the driveway area.

In a rural area you can just shovel the driveway apron. It depends on your city or town's regulations.

I live in a city so am required to shovel my sidewalk from border to border, but city lots have much less frontage.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Snow country question.

Rather than making elaborate plans for generators and such to keep the pipes from freezing when the power goes out, is it possible to set it up where you can blow all the water out of the lines if you’re gonna be gone for a while? Does anybody do that?

It's a common approach in vacation homes. Most of the cottages on our street were built in the late 60s and early 70s and were three season homes with electric baseboard heat, which was way too expensive to keep running during the winter. They were all set up so they could be easily winterized.

http://www.superterry.com/wint...tion-homes-plumbing/

Our house was a regular four season home with great insulation, etc. We were told it was best for the house and furnishings to leave the heat set between 55 and 60 degrees during the winter when we weren't there. We never drained out the water in the house, but we did turn off the well pump so that if for any reason the pipes froze, the only water that could leak out was in the pipes inside the house. In 30 years we never had a problem. Most of the years we owned the house were before home monitoring systems were readily available and affordable, so we had a caretaker that stopped in maybe once a week, more often if it got really cold. Never had a problem.

Having said that, if we had kept the house, we would have looked into setting up a monitoring system with temperature and water sensors, and cameras.

I don't know how your geothermal system operates. I'm assuming it has some kind of antifreeze and that it's a closed system, separate from your house water. If that's the case, you could just drain everything as outlined in the article.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37932 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
We have friends with a lake house - when they close down for the winter they drain the pipes and place anti-freeze of some kind in the toilet and all drain traps. I think they have some kindof heater in the pump room for the well to keep that warm enough not to freeze.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
Boston area.
Pacific Northwet. Much more hospitable climate.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Knew a guy with the orignal Hummer, just like the one the military used.
He was compensating.
Glad he did not have a UniMog.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Oh, and about living on a corner.

I live on the corner of two fairly busy suburban streets. My actual lot is about 75 feet by 100 feet. I have an extra 20 feet of city property between my property line and the pavement on two sides.

I get to use this space, but the city requires me to maintain it. Some people think that the strips that I maintain are fair game for parking (you may recall a few years ago I put some big rocks along the outside edge of the part in front of the house to prevent people from driving on it. And I get people putting up signs. A lot of realtors just plop their "open house" signs on the corner without asking if I mind (I mind). I also get a LOT of trash thrown from cars. I am on the main route between the high school and a very popular beach park. I suspect most of the trash is from teens driving to or from the park.

Bottom line, yes I get a bit more space and one or two fewer neighbors. But the downside far outweighs the bit of elbow room.

And on a busy corner, you sometimes get this:

There were two kids -- five and seven -- in the back seat of the VW.

After five or ten years of asking nicely, I sent that picture to the city traffic engineer and demanded a four-way stop. We haven't had a collision since then.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We're visiting Ohio in two weeks, and if the house on Dean Road is available we'll take a look at it. Beautiful piece of property, but I'm not sure about the amount of maintenance it will take and the remote location.

So here is another option, and this one seems like a good compromise. Suburban lot, new-ish construction, first floor MBR and laundry, Indoor community pool and weight room. Not crazy big, not much to do except change some finishes. Way less expensive than Dean Road and taxes are lower. Close to the lake without the seawall issues. Not as sterile as the pureed food house. The kitchen could be much larger if you just kept adding cabinets down the side of wall of the big addition.

Your thoughts? (and please let me know if you are getting tired of this thread):

4290 Brownheim Station Road

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Well I certainly love this thread!

House looks very livable as far as floor plan and the major stuff. Landscaping is mature and the house is nicely set apart from the adjoining homes There's nothing that screams major issue. It checks the important stuff, I think, for what you're looking for.

They dropped the price after a month, which must mean that people aren't biting. Gotta assume people are looking because it looks good in photos, so wondering why it's not generating buying interest.

I saw the little handle on the post on the front porch which I'm guessing was an assist for an older person. Makes me think possible smoker.

Here's the street view in Google Maps. Looks like the house is another corner property, and one side of the property is on Vermilion Road, which seems like it might a busier street.

https://www.google.com/maps/pl...125658!4d-82.3382587

Flood factor info:

https://floodfactor.com/proper...-ohio/392652006_fsid

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37932 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
(and please let me know if you are getting tired of this thread)

Absolutely not!!! Keep it coming!!

Re the new house, definitely has potential and lots to like there.

As to why it hasn’t sold, my guess is too much carpet and those wallpaper strips along the top of all those walls. Even though those are easy fixes, it makes the house look dated and people may find that a turn off.

Like the wine bottle wallpaper and hideous curtains in our house before we bought it. I’m grateful to those details bc I think that’s partly why the house didn’t sell more quickly! Big Grin

I’m remembering a house we went to see that was beautiful and updated throughout in terms of wall paint/colors and those kinds of details, that house sold on the first day it was listed. We were actually the first people to see it, then the next could that visited (just an hour after us) made an offer on the spot! I remember being so upset at the time. Not any more though!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18514 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Agreed... keep it coming. I will go back and read this from the beginning when I have some time.

I have never bought a house. I inherited this house free and clear. I hope to sell this one and buy another house elsewhere in a couple years. I would like that to be the last house I ever buy.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Also wonder why the basement is partially finished. Would love to know what's under that wallboard....cracks in foundation? signs of water intrusion?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Also wonder why the basement is partially finished. Would love to know what's under that wallboard....cracks in foundation? signs of water intrusion?

That remains to be seen and may well be why it hasn't sold. Ditto why the ceiling tiles were removed.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Love this last house. Nice landscaping too.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post