well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Long COVID

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long COVID
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45721 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Well that’s terrifying.

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20399 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
One of my best friends, a 31 year old mother who is an ultramarathoner and triathlete has it. Her husband and daughter had Covid for a few days - she's at month 4. She's developed heart and lung issues - struggles to walk for 5 minutes.

When idiots say something like, "I'm in good health and don't get sick..." I think of my friend. A few months ago, she was fitter than they might dream of being - and is knocked down. It isn't how fit or healthy you are, it is a lottery in which you can win or lose - and losing is very costly. She has no idea if she'll ever recover.

Posts: 9596 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
I know some people who aren’t exactly that deeply concerned about contacting covid-19. They think they’re healthy and that it’s just another influenza that they can easily weather through. Maybe not. According to google:

“A new Northwestern Medicine study published in Science Translational Medicine* discovered that COVID-19 causes permanent damage and severe scarring to the lungs, mimicking that observed in patients with pulmonary fibrosis, resulting in the need for a lung transplant. Nov 30, 2020.”

That what’s so insidious about covid-19. It’s NOT a regular influenza.

Posts: 1410 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
A 31 year old gold medal winning Olympian (bobsleigh 2018) is currently in hospital on oxygen in a London, Ontario hospital. He was in pretty good shape, too, I assume.

Ontario is a mess right now and I’m so deeply sad about the selfishness (by our provincial government, first and foremost) that has led to it all.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Kluurs, feeling so sad for your erstwhile uber healthy friend. Poor woman - and so "unfair".
(Perhaps an especially unsuitable cliche in such circumstances, as if anyone did deserve it.)

I always hope such personal histories serve as lessons to us all, that good health is ultimately a gift, however much some of us may work harder to maintain it.

One of the greatest mysteries of this plague is WHO contracts it and why. And if we do - why and when? And now we're even forced to face the further realization that we may never even know for sure that we're out of the woods.

It will surely be a relief once those questions have been at least partly answered.

Even if we ultimately can't dodge it, we may have a greater sense of control - knowing far more what makes some more susceptible than others.

It does seem "viral load" is a major contributor (hence the front line exposed are overall the most in danger). That doesn't answer all that many questions, though.

It still seems overwhelmingly random. The new realization that long-term damage may follow the apparently healed, leaves a further cloud of uncertainty over what we'd otherwise call "survivors" (In the hopeful parlance of other deadly diseases - like the big C).

From the tanning partiers over Spring Break to the "I'm so special" oldsters like Trump, we all need a dose of humility to remind us of our common mortality. G-d help those forced to learn it the "hard way", otherwise.

Compassion is also in order, shaking us up with that basic Memento Mori realization. I've certainly been reminded often throughout this plague, of Poe's "Masque of the Red Death". Royalty and beggars alike are struck down one by one as they dance, regardless of how great their Ball disguises are.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Qaanaaq-Liaaq:
I know some people who aren’t exactly that deeply concerned about contacting covid-19. They think they’re healthy and that it’s just another influenza that they can easily weather through. Maybe not. According to google:

“A new Northwestern Medicine study published in Science Translational Medicine* discovered that COVID-19 causes permanent damage and severe scarring to the lungs, mimicking that observed in patients with pulmonary fibrosis, resulting in the need for a lung transplant. Nov 30, 2020.”

That what’s so insidious about covid-19. It’s NOT a regular influenza.

I could have almost written your first paragraph.

Posts: 24616 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I didn't think I'd see a plague in my lifetime and, of course, I've seen a few. HIV/ AIDS (I lost friends to it, sadly) appeared when I was in 8th grade. I know because my male English teacher came to class waiving a newspaper. I was lucky. I knew what it was and avoided it. That pandemic is tragic, but more in control now. Covid-19, on the other hand, scares me more. It spreads through breathing, the virus is mutating, and many people in the US seem to be in denial.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
One of my best friends, a 31 year old mother who is an ultramarathoner and triathlete has it. Her husband and daughter had Covid for a few days - she's at month 4. She's developed heart and lung issues - struggles to walk for 5 minutes.

When idiots say something like, "I'm in good health and don't get sick..." I think of my friend. A few months ago, she was fitter than they might dream of being - and is knocked down. It isn't how fit or healthy you are, it is a lottery in which you can win or lose - and losing is very costly. She has no idea if she'll ever recover.

I'm sorry.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:

Ontario is a mess right now and I’m so deeply sad about the selfishness (by our provincial government, first and foremost) that has led to it all.

Please elaborate for us.

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:

Please elaborate for us.

We have a Conservative provincial government who is more concerned about being popular than being effective. In an effort to try to keep big business happy, their lockdown measures have gotten more and more convoluted and ineffective over time. For example, they had a stay at home order at the same time that schools were open as usual. At a time when cases were rising and our area was moved from Orange to Red in their incomprehensible lockdown plan, they also increased the number of people allowed in restaurants from 10 to 50. And then the third wave hit. So now they are saying “really guys. We mean it. Only essential stuff can be open! For real!” And people aren’t listening. They finally had to publicly admit they were ignoring the medical experts.

And that doesn’t get into their vaccine deployment plan, which has been a mess from the beginning.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I'm sorry it's a mess. I wish it weren't one.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:

It isn't how fit or healthy you are, it is a lottery in which you can win or lose - and losing is very costly. She has no idea if she'll ever recover.

Furthermore a lottery you're entered into against your will.

I do so wish we were at the point where Science has uncovered what differentiates those who contract COVID (and how severely) from those who don't.

It's also so weird how many different forms of the disease there are - how many manifestations. Surely that too is to be discovered some day.

Must be related to the first question - who gets it at all and how severely. However rare it is (thank G-d) the unique kid variant is mind-blowing.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post