well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Keto-like diets

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keto-like diets
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
‘Keto-like’ diet may be linked to higher risk of heart disease, cardiac events

Popular weight-loss diet also associated with higher levels of LDL cholesterol

Reports and Proceedings
AMERICAN COLLEGE OF CARDIOLOGY

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/981753

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Yes, this has been known for a long time, though it's not stressed as much as perhps it ought it to be.

It's not clearcut either, though it surely has that effect on many. When I went on the KETO diet even though it led me to eat hard cheeses and red meat for almost the first time in my adult life (and rather a lot - I just had to find SOMETHING to please my taste buds, having had to eliminate so much), my lipid profile vastly improved including lowering my LDL.

It seems weight loss figures heavily in my lipid profile. If only I could keep it at the level that seems most effective!

Everyone is different in how various food stuffs effect our health. One major factor seems to be our gut biomes and others just aren't understood - like how we metabolize things.

One ongoing study (I wish I could find it) involves carefully following the diet components of a large group of people - pretty much everything was tracked and so were health changes (including, of course, weight).

One lucky group was found to lose weight eating chocolate! Eeker

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
One of my clorestorol numbers is off but I forgot which one the Dr. said and can't research now.

I need to think about it before deciding to take statins or not.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm generally leery of any diet that is all or nothing - KETO, Paleo, Adkins, etc., all fit into that category for me.

Was it Michael Pollan who advised something like "eat a lot of different things, mostly plants" or something similar?

I don't consider vegetarian as an all or nothing diet, fwiw. I do know that to be really healthy as a vegetarian you need to know what you're doing. There are a lot of unhealthy vegetarian diets.

Vegan - it's sliding over into the all or nothing category for me. YMMV!

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post