well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Sous Vide Digest
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Sous Vide Digest
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

If you decide to do pork chops, see if you can find a butcher who will them a true 2 inches thick. It would be impossible to cook a chop like that normally but with sous vide they come out perfectly. I know the USDA recommendation used to be for 165° for pork but the newer recommendations allow for 145° if you keep it at that temperature long enough. According to what I’ve read two hours is long enough. The meat comes up slightly pink at 145 and if that bothers you maybe kick it up to 150 or so. The result is amazing.

Went to a small local butcher shop today where they cut us some 2” chops. Will report back after I cook them.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Muffin's Sister just got one. Maybe I can entice her to come back and post by telling her about this thread.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15496 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Bone-in 2" thick pork chops today. Decided on 147.5 degrees for three hours. Since this was my first time cooking pork with this method I decided not to stuff them and just made the stuffing on the side.

The most unbelievably tender pork I've ever had.

I also decided to try a mayonnaise sear. After you take the chops out of the sous vide bath you pat the meat dry, smear it on all sides with mayonnaise, and then either throw it on the grill or in a hot skillet. It gives an amazing crust with a lot less spattering than other methods. Definitely the way to go.

The bone makes it a little harder to sear. I really like the flavor that a bone adds, but I'm thinking that boneless has its advantages in other respects.

So far, so good. Steve, you are my sous vide guru!

I want to try this recipe:

https://sousvideways.com/sous-...mic-sage-pork-chops/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Isn’t it great?

I have a pork tenderloin in the freezer to make this weekend. I think I’ll try that recipe!
ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34795 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Let me know how it turns out for you. Mr wtg orders a Berkshire pork chop with a balsamic glaze at one of our favorite restaurants. I'd like to try to duplicate it and thought that recipe might be a starting point.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The pork tenderloin came out great!

Meanwhile, these came today from Amazon. No more saucepan full of water on top of the bag to keep it underwater. ThumbsUp

Posts: 34795 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I’ll be interested in how those work out.

I’ve had really good luck with the water displacement method. I put the meat in a ziplock bag and zip it almost completely, leaving maybe an inch open.. I submerge the bag in water, keeping just the opening above the water. The water pressure forces the air out of the bag and I zip the bag shut. It’s not a vacuum seal, but it’s good enough so that the bag doesn’t float.

How long and at what temp did you cook the pork tenderloin?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I used this recipe:

https://www.seriouseats.com/re...nderloin-recipe.html

140 degrees for about 4 hours.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I bought two turkeys at Costco, one to cook for Thanksgiving and the other to freeze. I'm making the Julia Child/America's Test Kitchen deconstructed turkey for the holiday.

I'm considering this for the second bird sometime down the road:

https://blog.williams-sonoma.c...thanksgiving-turkey/

Whaddya think?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I don’t care much for that recipe. Turkey at 165 degrees is nearly inedible.

I think this one is closer, not sure on the dry brine. Maybe a proper wet brine and heaping handfuls of herbs. Rosemary, thyme and plenty of sage. Lemon too, Lemon makes poultry taste like you boiled it in butter.

https://sousvideways.com/foolproof-sous-vide-turkey/

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
A tip:

Cutting out the backbone is a snap with a sturdy pair of shears. I tried it with a knife and nearly killed myself.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the warning.

I'm pretty experienced at deconstructing turkeys; been cooking them that way for many years. I've removed the backbone with a knife but prefer to use poultry shears.

Some good info in that sous vide recipe for the turkey, though I'm not sure about the spatchcocking. I'm leaning toward taking the legs/thighs off like I do now and having them cook separately from the breast. I also remove the thigh bone, which really helps when you're roasting. Not sure if it's necessary for sous vide.

I'll think about it and research it some more, but I'm definitely up for an experiment.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Speaking of hacking up poultry, Jacques Pepin has a three hour YouTube video where he teaches how to do all sorts of things. Part of the series is how to butcher a chicken depending on what you are going to do with it. 4-5 different ways IIRC.

One thing common to all of the methods is to remove the wishbone first - it’s supposed to make everything else easier. He even removes it if he is going to carve a whole bird at table.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Costco sale starts today!

https://www.costco.com/anova-s...oduct.100671168.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I usually don't like the slideshow kinds of articles, but Lifehacker typically has good stuff.

Here are a bunch of recipes for things to make sous vide. The tuna and the lunch meat were kind of cool.

Whole slideshow:
https://skillet.lifehacker.com...r-new-sou-1845956806

Tuna recipe: https://skillet.lifehacker.com...anned-stu-1845352965

Cold cuts: https://skillet.lifehacker.com...cold-cuts-1839274016

And a sidebar discussion about cured vs uncured lunch meat products

Bazootiehead-in-training