well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Sous Vide Digest
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Sous Vide Digest
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I made a pork loin in the sous vide a couple of days ago.

It was (is...we're still eating it) delicious, but I noticed something interesting. The first bites were literally the best pork I ever put in my mouth. After I seared it, though, it became merely very good.

I'll certainly make that recipe again and I'll cook other things in the sous vide, but I'll be chasing those first few bites forever.

I think searing it made it marginally tougher, which makes sense. The thing that doesn't make sense is the decrease in seasoning after searing. I'd slathered it with smoked salt, pepper flakes, oregano, and cumin, and the first bites were very spice-forward. Afterward, it tasted like pork. Excellent pork, but just pork.

Anybody else have this experience?

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Saw this segment on America's Test Kitchen about making creme brulee. The trick is wide mouth 8 ounce Mason jars with lids that you lower into the water.

https://www.americastestkitche...us-vide-creme-brulee

Haven't tried it yet, but I looooove creme brulee.....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37878 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I made tri-tip last week. The beef was a pre-seasoned item I bought at Costco and we weren't super keen on the seasoning but the beef itself was phenomenal. I think the package was about 2 1/2 or 3 pounds; I cooked it for about 6 1/2 hours at 134 or 135. Medium rare and super tender. Great for sandwiches, too.

Next time will just get the tri tip from the butcher and season it myself.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37878 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
We've got sous vide pork tenderloins on a pretty frequent rotations. They're tasty and dummy-proof.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I was glad to see this thread revived.

Making rib eyes in the sous vide setup right now! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34922 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post