well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Jussie Smollett
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jussie Smollett
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Actor Jussie Smollett is facing new criminal charges nearly a year after Cook County prosecutors dropped disorderly conduct counts against him for allegedly orchestrating a racist, homophobic attack on himself early last year.

Smollett was indicted by a special Cook County grand jury on six counts of disorderly conduct for allegedly making four separate false reports regarding what police said was a faked attack. Special Prosecutor Dan Webb announced the charges in a press release Tuesday, saying that “further prosecution of Jussie Smollett is ‘in the interest of justice’."

In deciding to bring charges, Webb’s team looked at "the extensive nature” of Smollett’s falsehoods and the massive amount of time and money Chicago Police put into the investigation, according to the release.

https://www.chicagotribune.com...rqd5q74ei-story.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I know, I saw that. Wow!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Bad timing for Kim Fox who is trying to win reelection after this fiasco. I do hope we see this pursued to the end.

Posts: 9592 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I’d like to see contrition and maybe compensating the CPD.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Contrition is for wusses. This is the age of Trump, man ... Big Grin

Posts: 12473 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
This is a very strange story. I’m not sure what to make of it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34789 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
The ‘hate hoax’ bit is more common than we’d like to think, and sociologically easy to explain. It is, to a victimhood culture, what ‘stolen valor’ is to an honor culture. This is a modern equivalent of claiming you were a war hero when you were actually in graduate school.

The strange part to me is the behavior of the prosecutor.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The whole thing is bizarre. I'm always wondering how the public hoaxers think they can get away with it. But I suppose there are more who have been successful and did get away with it. And it sure keeps their name in the headlines, which is another motivator for some.

Posts: 35360 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Seems rather late to be doing this. Not sure what is driving it.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13507 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Judge appointed a special prosecutor in June or July of last year. Guess it takes a little time to investigate the case and have the grand jury hearings.

edit: I didn't think grand juries of this type met all that frequently, so elapsed time is greater.

as for the "why", the CPD always took issue with how things were handled by Foxx's office,

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I said it before. I'll say it again.

Hoax.

Worse still, he seems addicted to perpetrating them.

Posts: 24598 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Jury just came in....Smollett was charged with six counts of felony disorderly conduct for allegedly filing a false police report..

Guilty on five of the six counts.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
The media coverage of the trial was bizarre. Very little coverage of his cross examination -- I would love to see it.

Anyway, there were many strange things about the case, but some can be explained by trauma. Yeah, it would be weird not to remove a noose from you neck while you're waiting for the police. But trauma victims do weird things sometime.

But the truly weird thing was that he left his hotel room in the dead of winter in the dead of night to get a sandwich? And he had the misfortune to run into a couple of white dudes carrying a pre-prepared noose and bleach?

Why is it that people are so very bad at planning crimes? It must be really hard to do well.

Posts: 19752 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I believe drugs and alcohol were involved. Cocaine can make you think you have a brilliant idea that would seem ridiculous sober.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13507 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I figure that he wanted to get famous and rich in a Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian kind of way, but sex tape had already been done.

Posts: 45718 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post