well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Go To a Museum or the Opera, Live Longer

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Go To a Museum or the Opera, Live Longer
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45741 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Dogs too ...
https://www.usatoday.com/story...e-longer/3907770002/

Now if they'd just let you take your dogs to the museum or opera ...

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Wow, I'm really going to get old!

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Sorry to be the artistic killjoy, but we've been meme-ing that article on twitter for the past week. That's the kind of study that gives medical research a bad name. Any economics undergrad who has taken a basic class in causal inference would be shaking their head in wonder that a "good" journal published it. The study makes no attempt to identify a causal pathway.

And this long and speculative paragraph doesn't get them off the hook ...

quote:
Within health research, arts engagement could be linked to longevity by alleviating chronic stress and depression, and providing emotional, cognitive, and social coping resources that support biological regulatory systems and behavioural choices.8 Arts engagement is also known to enhance social capital, which builds individual and collective resources,910 and to reduce loneliness, which is associated with mortality.11 Arts engagement can support cognitive reserve,212 and promotes empathy, social perception, and emotional intelligence, which are all linked to a greater chance of survival.13 Arts engagement could help to reduce sedentary behaviours, which are well established predictors of cardiovascular health and immune function,1415 and might also reduce risk taking behaviours. Arts engagement is linked to a greater sense of purpose in life, which is itself associated with better immune function and healthier behaviours.16 Further, creativity and imagination, which are an intrinsic part of artistic engagement, have been linked to increased chance of survival across the evolution of our species.17 So there is a strong theoretical rationale that underlies the hypothesis that arts engagement could be linked to people’s chance of survival.

I can think of many "behaviours" that would fit the bill besides going to museums or to the opera. Give me that data and my undergrads could find tons of correlations that they could play with and make up really fun stories (even with research backing) to explain them.

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I take your point, but do you care about causation? You know that doing X is correlated with good outcome Y. Does it matter whether it's because you're walking more, because your brain is more engaged, or because the paintings emit cancer-killing photons? Nah. All I care about is that, if I do X, I may have a better chance of achieving Y. (Assuming Y is a goal.) I'll let other people worry about causality.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
If the source of the "effect" is an ingrained personality type, then forcing yourself to go to a museum doesn't change who you are, and it's who you are that is what "causes" the effect. That "study" offers absolutely NO reason to think that a person can improve their health by going to the opera when they otherwise wouldn't have.

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I understand. You're arguing causality, and saying there's no evidence of causality.

I'm pointing out correlation.

Your answer is that, perhaps, there is a separate correlation with a desire to go to the museum or the opera, and that the desire itself is the trait that causes the outcome. And you say there's no reason to believe that attendance creates the desirable outcome. I could argue that we could make a guess about probabilities, and therefore that the notion that there's NO reason to believe might be a little aggressive, but I'll go in a different direction.

Instead, I will give you the obligatory Jewish grandmother joke.

"Give him chicken soup!"

"Grandma, he has cancer. Chicken soup won't help."

"Listen Mr. Big Shot, it couldn't hurt!"

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Having a Jewish grandmother, I've heard that line many times before! Big Grin