well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    USA-North Korea Nuclear Talks
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USA-North Korea Nuclear Talks
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
Trump-Kim summit breaks down after North Korea demands end to sanctions
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47398974

Trump Kim talks: What to make of the Hanoi summit collapse?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47382060

Trump cuts short North Korea summit after dispute over sanctions: 'Sometimes you have to walk'
https://www.foxnews.com/politi...abrupt-end-to-summit

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12675 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Who needs nukes when you have this?

https://www.foxnews.com/opinio...this-stunning-weapon

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37671 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
So much for the negotiator-in-chief, mister deal.

Sad!

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30027 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Anyone here thought the summit would net anything at all, much less anything positive? The two political theater kings meet. Result? Political theater. Color me unsurprised.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’m actually relieved that he didn’t give away the store in order to look like he made progress. You know, like last time.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
The D went unprepared. USA has spoiled him into thinking anything he says will be done.

And I just heard the WH kicked out 4 of our journalists out of the dinner/lunch for asking the D about the cohen situation.

OUR journalists are there to share with US what goes on over there.

Can I get any more disgusted with him? I am even getting anti R which I never was before, after seeing the behavior of R at yesterday's hearing.

Andhow much was just spent for the D's trip over there to pump up his ego?

Grrrr.....

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I must admit it was a definite through the looking glass moment when Jim Jordan started lecturing everyone on morals, ethics, and principled behavior.

And AdagioM, good point. Though I assume that anything Donald would promise would be twisted, modified or forgotten within hours. It was a totally empty activity.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Obama told Trump that North Korea was the problem child in the world. He's focusing on an area he hoped to achieve where others had failed.

I hoped that something would have come from the meetings. Stranger things have happened - and sometimes it takes someone from left field (aka Trump) who can make it happen. I'm sorry it didn't work out. I think Trump was sensitive to the criticism of his last visit that he'd gotten taken. It's good he walked.

Posts: 9594 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I agree it's good he walked.

I have to say, I think his mission as president is to undo anything Obama did, and to equal or surpass him on achievements (Nobel Prize I'm looking at you). I don't think Trump gives a damn about anyone but himself.

His stupidity is boundless.

quote:
Kim Jong Un was not responsible for the horrific injuries sustained by American student Otto Warmbier, who died shortly after being released from 17 months of detention in North Korea, President Donald Trump said Thursday.

"Some really bad things happened to Otto — some really, really bad things. But he tells me that he didn't know about it, and I will take him at his word," Trump said, referring to the North Korean dictator.

The president added that Kim told him that he "felt very badly about it."

Trump said Kim had nothing to gain from the Warmbier situation.

"I really don't think it was in his interest at all," he added at a press conference after their nuclear summit in Hanoi collapsed.

Trump said Kim "knew the case very well but he knew it later."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/w...wasn-t-blame-n977516

He won't believe the experts in his own administration, but takes the word of people like Kim Jong Un and Vladimir Putin.

I find it frightening as hell.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37671 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
I am even getting anti R which I never was before, after seeing the behavior of R at yesterday's hearing.

The current gop is a maggot-infested, rotting corpse. We didn't even need yesterday's hearing to know this.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10558 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
President Donald Trump said he walked away from his second summit with Kim Jong Un because the North Korean leader demanded the U.S. lift all of its sanctions, a claim that Kim's delegation called a rare news conference in the middle of the night to deny.

So who's telling the truth? In this case, it seems that the North Koreans are. And it's a demand they have been pushing for weeks in lower-level talks.

Trump's much-anticipated meeting with Kim, held in the Vietnamese capital Wednesday and Thursday, ended abruptly and without the two leaders signing any agreements. Trump spoke with reporters soon after the talks broke down and said the dispute over sanctions was the deal breaker.

"Basically, they wanted the sanctions lifted in their entirety, and we couldn't do that," he said. "We had to walk away from that."

Hours later, two senior members of the North's delegation told reporters that was not what Kim had demanded. They insisted Kim had asked only for partial sanctions relief in exchange for shutting down the North's main nuclear complex. Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho said the North was also ready to offer in writing a permanent halt of the country's nuclear and intercontinental ballistic missile tests.

Vice Foreign Minister Choe Sun Hui said Trump's reaction puzzled Kim and added that Kim "may have lost his will (to continue) North Korea-U.S. dealings."

The State Department then clarified the U.S. position.

According to a senior official who briefed the media on condition he not be named because he was not authorized to discuss the negotiations publicly, the North Koreans "basically asked for the lifting of all sanctions."

But he acknowledged the North's demand was only for Washington to back the lifting of United Nations Security Council sanctions imposed since March 2016 and didn't include the other resolutions going back a decade more.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...artment-says-n978016

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Nick Kristof had a good op-ed in WaPo.

http://themercury.com/trump-sh...0e-ac65c94e472d.html

Notable:

quote:
With normal presidents, summit deals are largely agreed upon ahead of time. As one veteran diplomat put it, presidents pull rabbits out of hats, after diplomats have worked diligently ahead of time to stuff the rabbits into the hats. But Trump has never had much patience for that meticulous diplomatic process, instead placing excessive faith in breakthroughs arising from personal relationships — and his faith was clearly misplaced this time.

The North Korean side had refused to hash out the summit outcome in advance with the highly regarded U.S. special envoy, Stephen Biegun, presumably because Kim thought that he could outfox Trump in person in Hanoi the way he had in Singapore nine months ago....

Unfortunately, North Korea is an otherwise unimportant country that gets attention only when it behaves provocatively. So its leaders have learned that their best leverage is to fire missiles, detonate warheads, or start up nuclear complexes.

While Trump was right to walk in this case, he also seems to have played his hand poorly in the run-up to the summit. In particular, he signaled that he eagerly wanted a deal and that “fantastic success” was likely, all of which probably led Kim to raise demands in the belief that Trump would fold.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Of course, none of us were there, but Kristof's summary makes sense to me. I am surprised that Trump walked away so quickly. It doesn't appear that he had any counter-offers ready to go. They hit their first stalemate, which in most negotiations is the first step, and Trump declined to continue.

It is a missed opportunity. But I am completely unsurprised. Neither of them are truthful about anything. Without a bunch of negotiators behind the scenes, greasing the skids, these two were bound to lock horns right away and then walk off. Neither will give an inch on their own, both double down on the rhetoric and threats instead.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The family of Otto Warmbier rebuked President Donald Trump on Friday for siding with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, who denied knowledge of their son's maltreatment during his imprisonment.
"We have been respectful during this summit process. Now we must speak out. Kim and his evil regime are responsible for the death of our son Otto. Kim and his evil regime are responsible for unimaginable cruelty and inhumanity. No excuses or lavish praise can change that. Thank you," Fred and Cindy Warmbier, Otto's parents, said in a statement provided to CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/01...rth-korea/index.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Of course, none of us were there, but Kristof's summary makes sense to me. I am surprised that Trump walked away so quickly. It doesn't appear that he had any counter-offers ready to go. They hit their first stalemate, which in most negotiations is the first step, and Trump declined to continue.

I am just speculating, of course, but I imagine that this was not unplanned. I imagine that Trump was told that the popular opinion was that he was fleeced at the first summit, and he was determined to make sure it didn't look that way this time. He probably had a list of demands, and, if they weren't met unconditionally, he was going to walk.

All theater, but at least he had the right performance this time.

Posts: 45721 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post