well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    On Gymnastics and Gymnasts …

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On Gymnastics and Gymnasts …
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
Observations and thoughts about gymnasts and gymnastics:

1. No one pays attention to male gymnasts

2. Haven’t heard of any female-to-male transgender gymnast competing in any notable competitions, Have you?

3. Comparing the female gymnasts competing today to the female gymnasts competing in, say, the 1980’s, it seems the female gymnasts of today are more muscular, their muscle definitions are more visually obvious. Today’s female gymnasts probably make more powerful moves (e.g., higher jumps, faster spins and flips, more explosive bounces, etc.), though I’m not exactly sure how “power” is typically understood or measured in gymnastics.

4. We will most likely not talk about gymnasts or gymnastics again until the next Summer Olympic Games come around.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Observations and thoughts about gymnasts and gymnastics:

1. No one pays attention to male gymnasts

2. Haven’t heard of any female-to-male gymnast competing in any notable competitions, Have you?

3. Comparing the female gymnasts competing today to the female gymnasts competing in, say, the 1980’s, it seems the female gymnasts of today are more muscular, their muscle definitions are more visually obvious. Today’s female gymnasts probably make more powerful moves (e.g., higher jumps, faster spins and flips, more explosive bounces, etc.), though I’m not exactly sure how “power” is typically understood or measured in gymnastics.

4. We will most likely not talk about gymnasts or gymnastics again until the next Summer Olympic Games come around.

All true.

I’m not sure the IOC is ready for the challenges on the horizon.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34922 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Going back to the 70's and 80's, female gymnasts never hit the weight room. They just didn't. Not even for leg work.

That has definitely changed.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I really like men's gymnastics too. But the events for the men are kind of dull.

Men and women vault. It's . . . fine. It's a wash.

Men and women do floor exercise, but the women add music and dance moves. I think men should perform to music also. If male figure skaters can perform to music, male gymnasts can also. It would give their routines some personality, which is sorely lacking.

From there, men's gymnastics goes off the rails. Rings? Yawn. Parallel bars? Double yawn. Yeah, fine, keep the pommel horse, I guess. And men's high bar is already great, so keep that.

Mostly, though, I would love to see more appropriate clothing all around for the women athletes. Beach volleyball, gymnastics, some track athletes -- all in booty shorts or almost-thongs.

And huge Kudos to Jade Carey, who was the one American gymnast not wearing an extra kilo of make-up.

I do not understand why NBC won't show all 8 athletes in event finals for the more popular events. I don't care where an athlete comes from, if he or she is one of the 8 best in the world, let's see 'em. Balance beam, floor exercise, uneven parallel bars, and high bar warrant our seeing 8 performances.

Cindy -- wondering if she was the only one watching the team equestrian jumping event, which had quite the nailbiter of a finish

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would love to see more appropriate clothing all around for the women athletes.

Yes!!

Re equestrian jumping, was that one the track with all the Japan-esque details?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18435 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
No, more like a big ring with a bunch of obstacles. This is the event in which Bruce Springsteen's daughter was one of the riders.

Can you imagine being Bruce Springsteen's daughter?

"Daddy, can I have a pony?"

"Think big, honey. How about a world class show jumping horse, and all the training you'll need to become one of the best in the world? Happy fourth birthday!"

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I like male gymnasts
Male gymnasts like male gymnasts. Smiler
They don't need to wear skimpy clothes. They look fine as they are.
The women don't need to wear skimpy clothes either unless they want jobs as pole dancers. Let them wear what they want.
Some of the female diving suits appeared to be very uncomfortable.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post