well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A floral diversion - cherry trees are blooming down here!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A floral diversion - cherry trees are blooming down here!
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
The cherry tress are in full bloom here and it is a beautiful clear day. And, even better, no one else was around, so we felt comfortable getting out of the car and taking some photos. Cherry trees + social distancing!
(I might stop using postimage, whatever they do to reduce the file size, it comes up looking so crummy! Frowner

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Wow! That gets the wtg Master Gardener Seal of Approval!

ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
So beautiful! Thanks for sharing...I needed that.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
no kidding. we're getting snow tomorrow night.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34916 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
we're getting snow tomorrow night.

Eeker

It is supposed to be cold and rainy for a few days starting tomorrow, but not "snow-cold."

I'm glad we got to go see these, they probably won't last the week.

I hope there are flowers for you all soon as well!!
Flower

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Thanks, SK! A day brightener for sure! Cherry trees are blooming here in Portland, too, but we won’t make it down to the waterfront for our usual walk. Might stroll the neighborhood, though.

Our governor and our mayor sound like they are giving conflicting orders: Stay home, stay safe! Or, it’s ok to go out on walks as long as you stay apart from others.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9798 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
So beautiful!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks MA and AdagioM!

quote:
Stay home, stay safe! Or, it’s ok to go out on walks as long as you stay apart from others.

We have decided not to go anywhere where we think there will be a significant number of people. These cherry trees are on campus in sort of out-of-the-way spots, not in parks etc., or else by some parking lots. We said we'd go home if there were any cars in the parking lots, but all of the lots were completely empty.

Someone posted a photo Saturday from the downtown area of the larger city that's about an hour from here, it just looked like any other weekend, people out and about. You would definitely come closer than six feet just by trying walk down the sidewalk. Frowner

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
When we bought this house, there was nothing but grass on the lot. Not a tree, not a bush, nothing.

We've planted twelve trees so far, and one of them is a redbud. Apparently, we sited it by looking into the future and seeing that we would be housebound in the spring of 2020, because we are able to enjoy it while sitting in the house. It's almost as if it has its own window.

It's not nearly as spectacular as your cherry tree pictures, SK, but here it is.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous. All signs of spring.

Around here, the daffodils and crocuses are blooming, forsythia has emerged, and yesterday, the snow glories began showing in profusion. Day lilies, hyacinths, and irises are putting up green. Many trees are budding.

There's been a concerted effort to plant redbuds around the Pittsburgh area in recent years. I didn't even know what they were when I encountered them in northern Kentucky some years ago. I had to ask a local what I was seeing.

It's my favorite time of year. Fall colors are beautiful, but they foretell the cold coming. Early spring colors are just the opposite. One of my most favorite sights is the first sunny day when the hardwood trees are just beginning to bud and they show a reddish cast instead of the gray of winter.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7398 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
MA, I love redbud! We have two on our property but neither are in places that we can see from inside the house.

quote:
It's my favorite time of year. Fall colors are beautiful, but they foretell the cold coming. Early spring colors are just the opposite. One of my most favorite sights is the first sunny day when the hardwood trees are just beginning to bud and they show a reddish cast instead of the gray of winter.

I agree! Spring is just so delightful!

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
TV report right new on Wash flowering trees and how so many are ignoring gathering restrictions and stay at home warnings.

Guess you went at the right time!

Bernard and I went to Wash trees several yrs ago now. They were so beautiful!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
This is our 5th spring here, and I've never seen people make it a point to go out and have a picnic under the cherry blossoms or anything like that. If I thought there would be crowds, I wouldn't have gone.

I think the message that it's ok to be outside has been misinterpreted by too many as meaning it's ok to be outside with other people close by, when in fact that's not the case. Frowner

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
All exquisite.

And ephemeral. Part of their beauty, and enjoyment in partaking of it.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post