well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    UW suspends classes until at least 20 March

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UW suspends classes until at least 20 March
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted
...in response to the coronavirus.

I wonder who will be next?

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
...in response to the coronavirus.

I wonder who will be next?

Some place not on people’s radar yet? Someplace really big (like UIUC or OSU)? Or maybe UCLA or another Cali school?

Or us. Ugh, I hope not!

I’m giving an (in-class) exam on Monday. Being able to finish that will be good....

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Overdue.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
You know Yeshiva closed Wednesday.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Officials at Stanford University have announced that a member of faculty has tested positive for COVID-19.

The school has contacted those who might have come into contact with the person and asked them to self-isolate. The staff member worked in a clinic, which has been closed for cleaning.

The faculty member had not been to work since showing symptoms, Stanford University said.

Meanwhile, in an online letter published late Thursday, Provost Persis Drell announced that for the last two weeks of the winter quarter, beginning March 9, classes at Stanford would not meet in person.

“To the extent feasible, we will be moving classes to online formats in place of in-person instruction,” Drell said.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Yeshiva, but UWashington and Stanford are both on quarter systems, so what they're doing is moving online at what is already the end of the term. We are just past the midpoint here, so if we end up moving online, say at the end of next week (which is a lot of people's prediction), there will still be about half of the semester left.

IOW my disruption is more disruptive than your disruption. suave

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I'm dithering about how to handle this if/when our classes go online. The most valuable part of my classes, is individual feedback on my students' creative projects. I can do that online easily. Heck. I can do that by email.

It will be more difficult to recreate class discussions. You can have great discussions in a forum format--This place is a case in point--so I can easily do that through our course management software. (We use Canvas.) It's really not the same as the synergy you get with a room full of people who are excited to talk about something we just read.

I'm not sure what can be accomplished in terms of class discussion through Zoom, but it won't be the same.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's really not the same as the synergy you get with a room full of people who are excited to talk about something we just read.

Yep. Frowner
For my class that's taught in Japanese, just the real-time conversation in and of itself is important. But also, there are a lot of things I do to help students understand that rely on us all being in the same room. Sigh. Also, in the second half of the semester, in preparation for a group project, I have students bring their computers and work in groups and I walk around and help. You'd think this kind of activity could easily be moved online, with students Skyping with their groups. Well, except, then I can't move back and forth, see the progression, help when needed, have one group help another.... etc. etc....

quote:
I'm not sure what can be accomplished in terms of class discussion through Zoom, but it won't be the same.

I am testing out Zoom, it's better than I expected. I like that students can see a powerpoint, or a "whiteboard" that I can write on, all while they still can see me and (I believe) each other. We'll see how that works with a whole class of students, instead of a small group of teachers.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
New closings.

Here's a comprehensive list:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/09...e-classes/index.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
It's really not the same as the synergy you get with a room full of people who are excited to talk about something we just read.

Yep. Frowner
For my class that's taught in Japanese, just the real-time conversation in and of itself is important. But also, there are a lot of things I do to help students understand that rely on us all being in the same room. Sigh. Also, in the second half of the semester, in preparation for a group project, I have students bring their computers and work in groups and I walk around and help. You'd think this kind of activity could easily be moved online, with students Skyping with their groups. Well, except, then I can't move back and forth, see the progression, help when needed, have one group help another.... etc. etc....

quote:

I am testing out Zoom, it's better than I expected. I like that students can see a powerpoint, or a "whiteboard" that I can write on, all while they still can see me and (I believe) each other. We'll see how that works with a whole class of students, instead of a small group of teachers.

How many students would Zoom accommodate? I've used it as part of a committee of four interviewing a job candidate, but it seems bunglesome for talking to a class of eighteen.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
How many students would Zoom accommodate? I've used it as part of a committee of four interviewing a job candidate, but it seems bunglesome for talking to a class of eighteen.

I don't know. My trial was with a few other teachers, not a big group. It's supposed to easily accommodate more than that... My largest class this semester is 20.... One thing is you'd need a large monitor for yourself, just to make it manageable.

I'll ask around tomorrow and see if anyone else has experience with a larger group. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

BTW we have a "university-connected" person who has apparently been tested and is waiting for the result; our uni email described the person as "being monitored." Not a student, but other details were vague.

Everyone is sort of expecting that if the outcome of the test is positive, we'll be moving online very quickly. But nothing is clear. of course.

We shall see.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'm not convinced that Zoom would work any better for a decent-sized lecture class than setting my laptop to record a lecture from my office whiteboard. I then post the lecture on Blackboard. Students watch whenever they choose from the security of their dorm room.

For smaller classes, Zoom might work reasonably well, but it's a poor substitute for in-class back and forth.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
decent-sized lecture class

By which you mean how many students?

I agree Zoom won’t make up for in-person, but I do think accepting those trade-offs will be worth it for some real-time interaction.

One of my students told me he was dreading the possibility of classes being moved online and he’s worried he won’t do well if they are Frowner

It sort of brought home how much this is anxiety-producing for our students as well.