well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Masks Make a Political Statement

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Masks Make a Political Statement
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
Party of the Fearful?

??

"Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I sure hope that one party doesn't get trapped into being the party of "Stay home wearing your mask with no job forever!" while the other party gets to be the "You can trust us to help get the country back on track."

'Cause the latter is the winning message."

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It's a false dichotomy.

Wearing a mask, which I did today on some exceptionally low or no contact errands, is not a sign of fear but of respect and concern. And no one I know thinks we should not be trying to reopen to the degree we can - just carefully.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I would regard it as the party of sensible, science-oriented people against the party of aggressive breast-beating symbolism. Which is more fearful?

Posts: 12538 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It doesn't fall along party lines here. The breast beating ones 'let 'er rip' are the far, far right.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
It doesn't fall along party lines here. The breast beating ones 'let 'er rip' are the far, far right.

A strange coalition (like all Trump's base) of those who favor extreme social risk taking because they know they themselves are safe and those who favor it because they figure G-d will protect them.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Mark says masks are a sign of "respect and concern." I've heard that before.

And what if you're not concerned?

I'm not at all concerned on spreading the virus (or contracting the virus) when I go on a run. I am social distancing, as are the few people I encounter. So I will not be wearing a mask on a run or during a tennis match or on a bike ride.

Part of the problem with mask resistance is that the CDC was saying for quite some time that we did not need to wear masks. Then the CDC buckled to political pressure to change its recommendation overnight. And then we were told we should find any old piece of fabric and wrap it around our faces?

Again, it comes down to credibility. I certainly understand why people don't trust a "scientific" recommendation that turned on a dime like that.

Also, some people are hung up on the symbolism of a mask, and not in a good way. Like, I have seen op-eds screaming at runners to wear masks because failing to wear a mask is "disrespectful." Well, the purpose of a mask is not to show "respect." It is to reduce the risk of disease transmission. By making it a value judgment, you invite others to interject their own values. It shouldn't depend on anyone's values -- it should depend on science and law, hopefully with the law being based on science.

So if wearing a mask becomes a value judgment, then people can have differing opinions. If it is to reduce the risk of transmission, then that is objective -- if you are in a position to spread the virus, you should wear a mask. When I ran through my residential streets this afternoon, there was no reason whatever for me to wear a mask. That was not "disrespectful."

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
A nurse told me the "scientific" explanation for the advice recommending not wearing a mask was due to the small number of masks available.
Medical personnel needed them more.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
A nurse told me the "scientific" explanation for the advice recommending not wearing a mask was due to the small number of masks available.
Medical personnel needed them more.

They could have told people to whip out a bandanna on Day One.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
The mask thing developed over time. At first it was to prevent a run on N95 and up masks. Later it became a way to slow spread.

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
The other way to prevent a run on masks use use presidential powers to force the manufacture of sufficient masks.

Can you blame people for being a little suspicious when the official approach is, “We lied to you, but it was for your own good.”