well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A counterpoint to the stories of irresponsible students

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A counterpoint to the stories of irresponsible students
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted
About this time every year, the Student Government Association requests that the university declare a holiday on the day before the Texas game.

You know...because it would be utterly impossible to drive three hours after class on Fridays and still have the full pre-pre-party before Saturday morning's pre-party and Saturday night's (hopefully) victory party and Sunday's post-party brunch before they drag themselves back up here.

I've had students in Thursday afternoon and evening class expect me to cancel class so that they can commence with a pre-pre-pre-party. I'm not necessary a fire-breathing dragon of academic rigor, but I thought that was excessive. We had class.

Anyway, the Student Government Association requested yesterday that this traditional-but-not-guaranteed holiday be moved to Election Day. Bear in mind that the Texas game may not happen, but it hasn't been canceled yet. This year, the students thought it was more important to vote than to have an extra day to party.

I think that's commendable.

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Student newspaper slaps back at Purdue's Mitch Daniels ...

Protecting Purdue's Image Instead of its People

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Our student newspaper has been killing it over the last couple of years. It gives me hope for the future.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Front page of Notre Dame's paper:

quote:
Don't make us write obituaries

https://ndsmcobserver.com/2020...us-write-obituaries/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post