well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    PA Senate Race - John Fetterman is so awesome!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PA Senate Race - John Fetterman is so awesome!
 Login/Join

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted
I don't know how much the PA Senate Race is making the national news or how many of you are familiar with our candidates.

On the Republican side, we have Mehmet Oz, TV doctor, cardiologist, snake-oil salesman and longtime NJ resident who registered to vote using his in-laws' address in PA so he could run for senate here. He is a practicing Muslim, which the Republicans oddly don't seem to have any issue with in spite of their incessant harping about Obama and Ilhan Omar. He also has dual citizenship with Turkey, owns several homes there, and has voted consistently in their elections....can you imagine the pearl clutching on Fox News if the Dems ever ran a candidate like that???? Oz's wife's family has serious money and is in bed with pharmaceutical companies. And everything about him just gives off "smarmy used-car salesman" vibes.

On the Democrat side, we have John Fetterman, current Lieutenant Governor, former mayor of a hardscrabble coal town in western PA, huge build, bald, lots of tattoos, looks like someone you would not want to run into in a dark alley but has a masters degree from Harvard. Married to an immigrant from Brazil, sends fundraising texts from his dog. He and his wife seem like genuinely nice people who would give you the shirts off their backs (there are lots of stories of them doing so when he was mayor). Makes you wonder what he's doing in politics. He does have one skeleton in his past - as mayor, he pursued an unarmed black jogger and held him at gunpoint thinking he was a suspect in a series of robberies, but he has apologized repeatedly (and sadly, there's a good portion of PA voters who probably think there's nothing wrong with doing that.)

Anyhow, this Senate race has been the most entertaining thing I have seen in a long time. Fetterman has long been known for his take-no-prisoners snark (see here: https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsb...t-texas-lt-governor/) and he has stepped it up like 1 million percent during this campaign.

He has been relentless in hammering at Oz's "fake" PA residency. He points out that he's filming his PA senate commercials in his NJ mansion.

When Oz was on vacation in NJ last week, Fetterman's campaign flew banner planes over the beaches welcoming him back home.

He even got Snooki, NJ's most famous washed-up reality TV star, to record a special message just for Oz.

Today Oz attempted to make himself look like a working class Philadelphian -- not only did it backfire massively (the two cheesesteak places he mentions are widely known as tourist traps and he is a cardiologist AND a vegetarian so it just seems especially smarmy for him to be pimping cheesesteaks) but Fetterman was RIGHT ON IT.

Oz tries to fire back, but the best he can do is make sad little jabs about Fetterman's health issues (he had a stroke shortly before the primary and has been recovering since) which seems especially cruel coming from a cardiologist.

Anyway, if you all are seeing this in national coverage, I won't bore you with updates, but if not, I'll try to keep posting the barbs as they fly as I think this race is shaping up to be the most entertaining thing to come out of PA politics in a LONG time.

Posts: 4389 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That's hysterical. I especially like the plane with the banner.

ROTFLMAO

I hadn't heard the details, except that Oz had been missing in action since he won the primary. And I had heard about Fetterman's stroke.

Looking forward to your updates!

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37691 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4389 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
One of the cheesesteak places (the one Oz didn't do his photo-op at) fires back:

Interesting tidbit - Geno's for years had a sign up saying if you want to order you need to speak English - it was very controversial and regularly made the news as people protested on both sides. It is now owned by the son of the original owner who put that sign up but the sign stayed up for years after the dad passed and from the enthusiastic Oz photo op, I'm guessing the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Pat's, on the other hand, just went way up in my book, LOL.

And the town that you live in thing is a reference to this -- Oz spelled the name of the town where he supposedly lives wrong on his candidacy registration form.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Lisa, yes, I am following closely and may go up to help if the Dems need help. And yes, I will be sending $$$.

I **loathe** Dr. Oz. The hardest part is figuring out the most loathsome thing about him.

Is it the ghastly retouched pink lips in that phot you posted?

Is it that he has no excuse to scam people because he has plenty of money already?

Is it because he such a huge, towering phony in his campaign materials, where he fails miserably to complain about the high price of gas or vegetables?

Fetterman had better win this thing or I will lose all respect for Pennsylanians.

Keep the updates coming!

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
It’s hard to keep all those place names straight when you have so many homes. Huntington, Long Island, Hunterdon County, NJ, Huntingdon Valley, PA… Big Grin

And I love Fetterman’s ads. Also liked him earlier, when he appeared on TV to counter voter-fraud claims in PA.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13771 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
According to fivethirtyeight.com,
48.7% dem vs 48.3% rep.

I long for a time when idiocy and lies will actually matter to most voters

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
48.7% dem vs 48.3% rep.

Yes

BTW, the best cheese steak in Philadelphia is found at Dalessandro's ...

Posts: 12484 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
48.7% dem vs 48.3% rep.

Yes

BTW, the best cheese steak in Philadelphia is found at Dalessandro's ...

Disagree! Jim's all the way!

Posts: 45722 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Disagreements about the best Cheesesteak is the Philly way ... Wink

Posts: 12484 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Following this on Twitter and it hilarious.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Come join us in Massachusetts where we have a moderate Republican Gov in a Majority Democratic State.

Everyone talks to each other, is civil and gets things done...huh..what a concept.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but the problem with a GOP governor of a blue state, however moderate he may be, is that if one of your Senators disappears, we wind up with a shiny new GOP senator.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Dr. Oz is a quack and a grifter. No wonder he's buds with Trump. I would vote for a ham sandwich before I would vote for him, though I like John Fetterman, certainly more than a ham sandwich. Does Oz still have a medical license?

I wonder if Oprah still likes him (Oz). She was responsible for foisting him on the rest of us, and in my opinion she can't just disappear and not address this.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Top pic is a legit photo tweeted out by Oz's campaign. I swear it looks like that was made by someone's grandma using MS Paint on Windows 95. But Fetterman doesn't miss a beat.