well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I had a feeling this would happen
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I had a feeling this would happen
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
My Mom died last year in May.

She just got her stimulus payment.

They need new programmers.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I assume no one has filed your late mother's tax returns for the 2019 tax year, so the IRS just goes by her 2018 record and does not know that she has passed away.

I suppose that means the IRS's algorithm just goes with what's in their tax returns database first, then later will traverse through the Social Security database after that are done processing everyone in the tax returns database. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Nope. I filed the final returns for her trust and for the estate, so her 2019 taxes are done.

SSA knows she's dead. So does the IRS.

Flat out error. Those boundary conditions will get you every time.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Flat out error. Those boundary conditions will get you every time.
Indeed!

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
They're aware that dead people are getting checks - so far seem ok with it.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I figured they weren't going to come after the money, but the MarketWatch article is describing what Ax brought up, that they are looking at the most recent history they have.

In my Mom's case, there is a final return for the estate, so it means no one bothered to check a simple filing status code indicating that the person is deceased.

Regardless, it will be used as stimulus. We'll figure out a good place to donate it so it does someone in need some good.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
One of our kids got their check, the other didn't. Fun times at Chez Nina Big Grin

Seriously, I can think of no reason why the other kid shouldn't get the money, but I may not understand the ground rules. He has earned income in both the US and Canada for 2019. Hmmmm.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Government efficiency

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
How did the check come?

Thought it went directly into bank acct.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
If made ou to mom, how do you get it signed?

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
One of our kids got their check, the other didn't.
Is out possible that one of your kids voted for Trump and you just didn't know about it? Evil

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
If made ou to mom, how do you get it signed?

It was a direct deposit to an account for her trust.

I happened to check it because I’ve been waiting for the state to debit the account for what she owed in state income taxes. That was supposed to happen yesterday, and it did. That’s when I saw the stimulus money go in.

Usually if you get a check made out for someone who is deceased, you can request that it be reissued to the estate.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Thanks ... as you can tell, I am naive to things like trusts...

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Have handled a couple of estates, but this is the First time for me doing one that involved a trust, so I’m kind of stumbling through it myself. Had an accountant do the tax returns. Wasn’t up to figuring out what needed to be done.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
wtg, I am so sorry..I know my Mom struggled with the trust for my Dad long after he passed.

I talked to her today but didn't think to ask if she got hers.

My younger kids did immediately...I won't see it for sometime as I don't get refunds so my bank account is not registered...not that I am counting on it..

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post