well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Impeachment tracker
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impeachment tracker
 Login/Join

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
No mention of additional vote to prevent Trump from running for office again.

I think that happens after conviction in the Senate, if that happens.

--------------------------------
http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You know, something I've been thinking about...I wonder if the folks who think Trump has been treated unfairly slept through two terms of Clinton's administration.

Not that the last four years is some kind of quid pro quo for what happened to Clinton, but it bears reminding that the GOP set Ken Starr loose to the tune of $70 million investigating Vince Foster, Whitewater, and ultimately the whole Lewinsky thing. Not to mention that his impeachment was over perjury and obstruction when he tried to lie his way out of the Lewinsky scandal. Would have been like impeaching Trump over Stormy Daniels.

Yet Clinton managed to govern despite all that, and got a lot accomplished. And he didn't whine about it constantly like Trump did.

We've been doing this to each other for a very long time....what a colossal waste of energy....sigh....we just have to find a better way to resolve our differences....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
quote:

From NYT's coverage of House impeachment vote:

quote:
Senator Mitch McConnell will not bring the Senate back before Jan. 19, meaning a trial is unlikely until around the inaugural.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
quote:

From NYT's coverage of House impeachment vote:

quote:
Senator Mitch McConnell will not bring the Senate back before Jan. 19, meaning a trial is unlikely until around the inaugural.

Correct. *If* he’s convicted by the Senate, the question of running for office again is separate after that. But there won’t be a Senate trial until after the inauguration.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Ten.

The folks back home respond.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/14...ted-to-impeach-trump

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And this pretty much tells you why there weren't more than ten (sorry couldn't find a non-paywall version). Well, that and the threats like the ones against one of the ten. He's buying a bulletproof vest.

quote:
The first figure from Civiqs shows that Pence’s favorability rating among Republicans fell from 85 percent at the beginning of the year all the way down to 61 percent. McConnell’s favorability within the GOP declined even more sharply —from 64 percent before he acknowledged Biden’s victory, to just 25 percent after he signaled some support for impeachment earlier this week.

The immediate erosion of GOP support for Pence and McConnell vividly illustrates the current dilemma for congressional Republicans who have been loyal to Trump over the past four years: Stand by the president as he spreads dangerous misinformation that foments violence — or risk losing support from the large share of Republicans who were misled into believing the 2020 election was rigged.

There wasn’t much suspense about how House Republicans would respond to this predicament. At every turn of Trump’s presidency, congressional Republicans have privileged partisan popularity and influence over facts and democracy.

It’s hardly a surprise, then, that almost all House Republicans remained on the same course until the bitter end — refusing to impeach the president for the lies he spread about the 2020 election that ultimately incited insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...support-impeachment/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
And this pretty much tells you why there weren't more than ten (sorry couldn't find a non-paywall version). Well, that and the threats like the ones against one of the ten. He's buying a bulletproof vest.

quote:
The first figure from Civiqs shows that Pence’s favorability rating among Republicans fell from 85 percent at the beginning of the year all the way down to 61 percent. McConnell’s favorability within the GOP declined even more sharply —from 64 percent before he acknowledged Biden’s victory, to just 25 percent after he signaled some support for impeachment earlier this week...

https://www.washingtonpost.com...support-impeachment/

Those figures really disappoint me, especially about Pence. I thought what he did would be pretty much universally recognized (and admired) on both sides not counting the hard core alt Right.

What Trump asked him to do (Discount the Electoral College's vote) was so blatantly illegal, plus Trump's expectation/demand that Pence would fall in behind Trump's claim that the election was rigged. (Not to mention what followed).

I would have thought most GOP would have admired Pence's courageous refusals. As it's been pointed out, it pretty much screwed his chance of ever becoming President. - however much it put him on the right side of history.

Afraid this means far more over there DO belong to what I called earlier the hard core Alt Right.

Sad, very sad - and frightening.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
It will take significant effort to retrain the thinking of the "lies, lies, and more lies" crowd.

I'm not sure if that is possible...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post