well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Exploding K-cups
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exploding K-cups
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
K-cups are the spawn of the devil.

I recently read an article that suggested that K-cups, because they don't use as much coffee as filter brewing, might be more environmentally friendly than you think.

what's environmentally unfriendly about coffee? i pour tons of it on my garden and it makes everything grow better.

having individual plastic cups. now that is environmentally unfriendly.

when we were on vacation i made cold brew by just mixing water and coffee and letting it sit in the fridge all week. poured some off the top every morning. dumped the grounds around the shrubbery before we left.

costa rican coffee is amazingly good.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I stopped using k cups a few years ago and went back to regular drip brew but I did have the same problem. I seem to remember that if I pushed the k cup down onto the spikey thing to puncture the bottom as I was inserting it and then closed the lid to puncture the top but then reopened it and immediately closed it again, that seemed to help. I think maybe because it let the air escape instead of trapping it inside as happens when you puncture as you close the machine. This was a Keurig machine - I have no idea if your Cuisinart is set up the same way or not. But I think the idea is puncture it using the machine then open the compartment to let the air pressure equalize and then close again and brew. Hopefully that helps! Good luck!

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
quote:

I recently read an article that suggested that K-cups, because they don't use as much coffee as filter brewing, might be more environmentally friendly than you think.

what's environmentally unfriendly about coffee? i pour tons of it on my garden and it makes everything grow better.

According to the story, growing it has environmental effects, and people who brew pots of coffee use far more coffee than people who make it one pod at a time.

quote:
The researchers also discovered that it's the way the coffee is manufactured — not the packaging itself — that causes the most harmful environmental impact.

Researchers at the Université du Québec à Chicoutimi (UQAC) looked at the carbon footprint of several techniques used to prepare coffee at home, including:

Pods
Instant coffee (soluble)
Brewed (French press)
Traditional filter

Their analysis showed that traditional filtered coffee is the worst for the environment. The process requires more coffee than the other three brewing methods and uses more water and electricity to keep the water warm during the making process. This leads to filtered coffee using 1 ½ times more energy than pods alone.

Instant coffee is actually the cleanest form of coffee preparation due to the small amount of coffee and electricity required. However, coffee-making isn't a scientific process. Studies have shown that many of us use 20% more coffee than what's required, boil too much water, and therefore use too much electricity.

Enter the pods.

According to the study, coffee pods, long maligned for clogging up landfills, may actually take home the prize for being the most environmentally friendly. Why?

The pod process is designed to use the exact amount of water, coffee, and electricity to make the perfect cup. Its foolproof system minimizes waste, saving between 11-13 grams of coffee compared to filtered coffee.

Using recyclable pods, switching to a greener source of electricity, and taking your pods to collection points for recycling the aluminum case and coffee waste could be a better way to further reduce your carbon footprint when you have your next cup of coffee.

o matter how you brew your coffee, the real waste occurs before you purchase it. Researchers in Quebec found that the harvesting of coffee makes up most of the carbon emissions — not the packaging.

"Regardless of the type of coffee preparation, coffee production is the most GHG-emitting phase," researcher Rodrigues Viana told the Washington Post. "It contributed to around 40 percent to 80 percent of the total emissions."

Researchers point to the "mechanization, irrigation, and use of nitrous oxide-emitting fertilizers — the production of which requires large quantities of natural gas" as the greatest culprit contributing to coffee's carbon footprint.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/g...onment-as-you/443460

And, if you prefer to get your news from the BBC:

quote:
the study found that traditional filtered coffee produced the most amount of carbon dioxide. This is because of the amount of ground coffee that is needed to make a cup of coffee is higher, as is the energy that is needed to heat up the water and keep the coffee warm.

On average, the method that produces the second-most emissions is brewed coffee using a French press, also because of the amount of coffee that is needed to make a single cup.

Coffee capsules are third on the list. The amount of coffee inside each capsule is controlled, which prevents overconsumption - a capsule saves between 11 to 13 grams of coffee, the study found.

Instant coffee is the most environmentally-friendly way to make a brew, the study found, because it uses less coffee, and water kettles use less energy than the traditional coffee maker.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64293750

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
well then. cold brew should be the most environmentally friendly of all. just need the electricity to run the refrigerator, and that's on all the time anyway.

you could even dispense with refrigerating it and just steep it in the water as it comes out of the tap.

it tastes better than any of the other methods, and is less acidic, so better for your stomach.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have a De Longhi espresso machine model with thermocouplers which heats the water very quickly.
Use a cheap grinder with the spinning blade and shake it while the blade spins to get the grind I want. It will grind too fine if I shake it more than a little. Would like the grinder Realplayer has.
A Russian couple settled in Denver years ago and started the Doz Bog coffee company. I used their KGB blend before I got the espresso machine. Now I buy their White Nights Espresso.
Maybe you saw the movie White Nights. DAZ BOG Their coffee shop and stands are very popular.
Use an Aeropress when in Tucson at Bob's. Maybe I need a Flair there.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Have a De Longhi espresso machine model with thermocouplers which heats the water very quickly.
Use a cheap grinder with the spinning blade and shake it while the blade spins to get the grind I want. It will grind too fine if I shake it more than a little. Would like the grinder Realplayer has.
A Russian couple settled in Denver years ago and started the Doz Bog coffee company. I used their KGB blend before I got the espresso machine. Now I buy their White Nights Espresso.
Maybe you saw the movie White Nights. DAZ BOG Their coffee shop and stands are very popular.

Biggest upgrade to your coffee would be a good grinder. F The new Baratza Encore ESP https://baratza.com/grinder/encore-esp/ has filter to espresso grind capabilities now. I went with the Turin DF64 https://www.espressooutlet.net...dose-coffee-grinder/ as it has flat burrs that can also be changed out for different profiles. The DF64 is very very good for espresso. It costs $400. The Baratza Encore ESP is $200.

As pricey as they may sound, they are almost free compared to the Option-O Lagom P64 (uses the same burr size as the Turin but it costs $1,500. Then there is the Weber EG-1 at $3,895 and of course even more expensive grinders are out there.

There are also manual grinders but a really good one will cost you more than the Barazta Encore.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I’m sure a keurig can make decent coffee, but its main issue is that it’s preground, and who knows how old it is. That’s where you notice the benefits of having a grinder and buying freshly roasted whole beans. You can really taste the difference.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes, and no. Of course! lol

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I love Hoffman's analysis - Big Grin ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
He's one of my favorite YouTube channels.

Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I didn’t follow all the elements of that, but am surprised there is some ideal ratio of coffee to water. I just go by the concentration of flavor that I like. I use 1-1/2 coffee scoops of whole beans (using a 1/8 cup scoop) for a “cup” — I don’t even know how many ounces that is, but it’s more than 6.

Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Yes, the ratio. I am currently experimenting with different dosages and ratios. Dark roasts need less temperature, short to no pre-infusion, and faster pull time.

Light roasts need higher temps, longer pre-infusion, and pull. As the ratio of water to coffee decreases, you can introduce undesirable traits to the flavor profile like excess sour, or bitter tastes.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:

Biggest upgrade to your coffee would be a good grinder. F The new Baratza Encore ESP https://baratza.com/grinder/encore-esp/ has filter to espresso grind capabilities now. I went with the Turin DF64 https://www.espressooutlet.net...dose-coffee-grinder/ as it has flat burrs that can also be changed out for different profiles. The DF64 is very very good for espresso. It costs $400. The Baratza Encore ESP is $200.

As pricey as they may sound, they are almost free compared to the Option-O Lagom P64 (uses the same burr size as the Turin but it costs $1,500. Then there is the Weber EG-1 at $3,895 and of course even more expensive grinders are out there.

There are also manual grinders but a really good one will cost you more than the Barazta Encore.

Thank you, Mark. Will take a look at those. However, whenever I go for the Rolls Royce level I always start to think a used Ford would have done the job almost as well.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post