well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Some Democrats Think Florida Is Trump's To Lose

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some Democrats Think Florida Is Trump's To Lose
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
OK, let's calm down.

The Dems lost the Florida mid-terms by a razor thin margin, and there is a chance we lost the governor's race due to a ballot issue.

The Dems ran two candidates from the progressive wing. If anything, the lesson needs to be that progressive Dem candidates cannot win statewide election in red/purple states. I offer Beto and Stacey Abrahams as my examples.

And let's remember that the Dems do not need Florida. Carrying Wisconsin/Michigan/Pennsylvania is sufficient.

Also remember that Trump is nowhere close to winning any state he did not win in 2016. Dems are well-positioned to win Iowa. Dems have the winds at their backs.

There are some potential candidates who, if nominated, would likely lose the election for us. In the "Can't Win" column are:

Elizabeth Warren
Bernie Sanders
Julian Castro
That homophobic lady from Hawaii
Gillibrand
Corey Booker (this one's just a hunch)

In the "Could Win If They Have Any Political Skill At All" are:

Kamala Harris
Sherrod Brown
Steve Bullock
John Hickenlooper

We are holding all the cards right now. All we have to do is not blow it.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
OK, let's calm down.

The Dems lost the Florida mid-terms by a razor thin margin, and there is a chance we lost the governor's race due to a ballot issue.

Yes, and I am sure that that will get MUCH better with new Republican heads of the election apparatus in Broward (and Dade too, I think).

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Sure, it will be a challenge.

But with the right candidate, Dems can carry Florida. Obama carried it twice, with a Republican Governor.

And don't forget about those million new voting felons.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post