well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Italian Cream Cake

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Italian Cream Cake
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
We ran in to this cake on a trip through the south a few years ago, North and South Carolina especially. It’s super good and not like anything you can get around here. It’s everywhere in Charleston.

We made it when we got home and it’s a lot of work. It came out well despite the difference in flours between the Carolinas and here. It’s the texture I think - way different from French textures we get around here. Surprising how similar it is to a cake I made from Shirley Corrihor’s recipe from the Bakewise book.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
My mother's Italian cream cake was legendary.

I've made it a few times, but as you say, it's a big production. Also it's a big cake--three full layers--so it's best when you're serving a crowd. I rarely do that any more.

Now I'm hungry for it, which is a problem since I've really cut back on my carbs lately. Not sure how long I can keep to that resolution, because Italian cream cake is a pretty good metaphor for my ancestral cuisine.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Good to know. I think My Favorite Redhead and my fist trip when we retire this summer will be Charleston. Never been there, always wanted to go there and the low country between there and Hilton Head.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post