well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Your opinions, please. Cold storage.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your opinions, please. Cold storage.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Fridge/freezers:

One, two, three doors or more?

Freezer on top, bottom or side?

Ice maker? Ice/water in door?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Never hooking up an icemaker again. Unless I move to a house with a kitchen with tile floors and tile baseboards and a drain. I’ve had two of them leak and the last one nearly had us replacing the entire house of flooring (because the flooring was a discontinued color)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20446 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Oh, and algae clogged up the filter and water thing in the fridge that was on a well… so that’s three of the four houses we’ve owned that have had issues with their ice makers. (The other two houses had fridges without ice makers.)

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
As to your other question, I’m not sure. I’ve had freezer on top, freezer on bottom (with two doors on top to the fridge) and right hand fridge, left hand freezer. I thought I’d like the freezer on the bottom the best, but I’m having issues with my two fridge doors closing at the moment - one of them gets stick partway open and you have to actually push it to close. And the handy big drawer on the bottom of the upper fridge part requires that you open both doors to getin it - which means I’m almost always having to open both doors to get stuff out.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
So I think I’d love to have a kitchen big enough to have a fridge only and a separate freezer in the pantry. Lol.

Smiler Jodi

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I currently have freezer on the bottom, which I've heard is more energy efficient. The downside is that things can get lost in the lowest layer (or so I've heard.... Wink ). The upside is that generally the size of the freezer itself is bigger than the side-by-sides, so you can put larger items in a bottom one. That's probably also true of a top one, I've never had one of those.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Bottom freezer, single door. No water hookup, icemaker or dispenser. I really like my 18 year old Kitchenaid. I hate counter depth and french doors.

Freezer? We have a 10 year old Frigidaire upright in the garage that does well. It replaced a 30 year old upright freezer of long forgotten brand.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Bottom freezer, single door. No water hookup, icemaker…

That’s what we have too. Our first time with a bottom freezer.

It all works well. It looked plenty big in the store; now I wish it were bigger. You wouldn’t think two people could use up all that room.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
French door refrigerator on top, freezer drawer on the bottom, water/ice dispenser in the top left door. It replaced a french door refrigerator on right/freezer on left unit that was a tight squeeze for the space it fit in. The split of shelves and the space taken by the ice maker make the refrigerator less roomy than the old refrigerator that had the ice maker in the left-hand freezer section.

I haven't had problems with ice makers, perhaps because I put a large cartridge water filter in the garage beneath the kitchen to supply the water to the ice maker/water dispenser. I particularly like having cold water available at the fridge and use that feature more than the ice.

I also have a second top refrigerator/bottom freezer in the garage, primarily used for beverages, larger packages/foods like the Thanksgiving turkey or Christmas ham, overflow for parties, gatherings, etc. Easy to store things when coming home from the store before they're needed in the kitchen fridge.

Finally, I have a large chest freezer in the laundry room for longer-term frozen food storage such as foods bought in bulk (Costco and supermarket sales), premade meals, meat (we buy most of our beef, pork, and lamb in bulk from my relatives in Ohio), and garden vegetables put up for later use.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7400 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I don’t love my fridge, but I wanted French doors and there was only one model that would fit in the space I have. Counter depth, and not as tall as most.

French doors, bottom freezer, water filter and icemaker. I didn’t care about water dispenser, but if it came with the icemaker.

Now that I have French doors, I think the ones on my fridge are dumb because you have to open both to pull out the veg drawer. Why not make those equal size so you can just open one side? Duh!

We had a side by side before, and the freezer wasn’t wide enough for what I wanted to put in there.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post