well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    America First Caucus

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

America First Caucus
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A group of ultraconservative House Republicans, including Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., are discussing launching an "America First Caucus" that would protect "Anglo-Saxon political traditions."

Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, told reporters Friday that he's "looking at" joining.

"There is an America First Caucus," he said, confirming that Greene is involved....

A seven-page organizing document that includes the group's name and a logo, first reported by Punchbowl News, says: "America is a nation with a border, and a culture, strengthened by a common respect for uniquely Anglo-Saxon political traditions."

It adds that "societal trust and political unity are threatened when foreign citizens are imported en-masse into a country, particularly without institutional support for assimilation and an expansive welfare state to bail them out should they fail to contribute positively to the country."

quote:
The America First Caucus will work towards an infrastructure that reflects the architectural, engineering and aesthetic value that befits the progeny of European architecture, whereby public infrastructure must be utilitarian as well as stunningly, classically beautiful, befitting a
world power and source of freedom

https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...n-political-n1264338

The organizing document:

https://punchbowl.news/wp-cont...Platform-FINAL-2.pdf

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37673 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Anglo-Saxon political traditions."

Which traditions are those? Confused

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34809 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Greene is so awful.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17665 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Anglo-Saxon caucus? I think they're ... Unready.

Posts: 12478 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Well that was quick.

quote:
Right-wing House Republicans on Friday were discussing forming an America First Caucus, which one document described as championing “Anglo-Saxon political traditions” and warning that mass immigration was putting the “unique identity” of the U.S. at risk.

The Associated Press obtained a copy of the paper, which was first reported by Punchbowl News, a new outlet covering Capitol Hill. The AP could not independently confirm the organization’s origins or current status, but Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., said he was joining and indicated that fellow conservative Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., was behind it.

The document was being circulated as the GOP is struggling to determine a clear direction as it prepares to try winning back control of the House and Senate in the 2022 elections. Among the party’s divisions are how closely to tack behind Donald Trump, and the caucus’ seven-page policy platform clearly embraces the former president’s world view.

“The America First Caucus (AFC) exists to promote Congressional policies that are to the long-term benefit of the American nation,” it begins. It says the group aims to “follow in President Trump’s footsteps, and potentially step on some toes and sacrifice sacred cows for the good of the American nation.”

The group calls for limiting legal immigration “to those that can contribute not only economically, but have demonstrated respect for this nation’s culture and rule of law.” It voices support for infrastructure “that reflects the architectural, engineering and aesthetic value that befits the progeny of European architecture.”

In a striking criticism, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., issued a tweet that an aide confirmed was aimed at the group.

“America is built on the idea that we are all created equal and success is earned through honest, hard work. It isn’t built on identity, race, or religion,” McCarthy wrote. “The Republican Party is the party of Lincoln & the party of more opportunity for all Americans — not nativist dog whistles.”

No. 3 House GOP leader Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., tweeted: “We teach our children the values of tolerance, decency and moral courage. Racism, nativism, and anti-Semitism are evil. History teaches we all have an obligation to confront & reject such malicious hate.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com...gtzy25pyy-story.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37673 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Wonder who in the GOP leaked the document.
What a great way to torpedo Greene and Gaetz.

quote:
A group of House Republicans scrapped plans to establish a caucus highlighting respect for Anglo-Saxon political traditions after meeting widespread resistance, according to a House GOP aide.

The effort led by Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R., Ga.) fizzled after sparking pushback from GOP leaders. A spokesman for Mrs. Greene declined to comment on the development Saturday.

The backlash began Friday afternoon after Punchbowl News, a digital news outlet, first posted a document from a group called the America First Caucus, which the outlet said was linked to Mrs. Greene and Rep. Paul Gosar (R., Ariz.). The group hasn’t filed paperwork with the House Administration Committee to become an official caucus, a House GOP aide said.

It wasn’t clear Saturday exactly who the members of the America First Caucus are. Many House GOP offices said they hadn’t seen the caucus document or been invited to join it. A spokesman for Mrs. Greene said Friday that she had never approved the document outlining the group’s policy positions on several issues including big technology, infrastructure and immigration.

Earlier Saturday, Mrs. Greene said in a statement that the document was “a staff level draft proposal from an outside group that I hadn’t read.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/g...t-caucus-11618691925

edit to add:

quote:
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene is not launching an "America First" caucus and said she had not read the document shared by Punchbowl News on Friday that emphasized "Anglo-Saxon political traditions."

This is a reversal from a day prior, when a spokesperson for the Georgia Republican told CNN in a statement to "be on the look out for the release of the America First Caucus platform when it's announced to the public very soon."

On Saturday, the same spokesperson, Nick Dyer, told the outlet Greene is not "launching anything" and the document that was released was "an early planning proposal and nothing was agreed to or approved."

https://www.businessinsider.co...-first-caucus-2021-4

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
"Anglo-Saxon political traditions."

Which traditions are those? Confused

You gotta see these.

https://www.newsweek.com/ameri...chbowl-memes-1584400

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
hysteric

I have to wonder what they thought would happen.

Posts: 34809 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
From WaPo:

And unfolded their minds, thus.

“Absolutely we meant Anglo-Saxon political traditions!” cried they

Shield clanging on shield and helm on helm.

“What could be more American than this?”

Did the Anglo-Saxons even know about America?

“HROTHGAR!” the caucus responded, with a loud cry. “Hlothhere!

Do not all our laws begin with an unpronounceable ‘HR,’ as befits an Anglo-Saxon?

Where is Wiglaf?! This is what we meant.

I ask nothing better than to sit in the throne-hall of my lord, ring-giver, great in arms

While a demon comes rampaging into the hall and wreaks woe,

And much do we thanes thole — this is precisely what I mean!”

What’s all this about architecture?

“Wattle-and-daub was well enough for Wiglaf,” cried the caucus,

“And well shall it be for me, in the hall of my lord and torque-bearer!

Stone is in the manner of the Romans, and I shun it for construction.
Advertisement

By European architecture, I meant a sturdy timber hall,

Lined with shields, and rich with plunder.

That is all the architecture I seek, and is definitely what I meant.”

Okay. This seems like it was pretty clearly just supposed to be a dog whistle and now you’re tripling down.

“When I spoke,” cried Marjorie Taylor Greene, hammering shield with sword,

“I weighed each word! Let us have maethlfrith!

Let us have drihtinbeage! We must make America Geat again!

We shall be ruled by bailiffs and reeves,

And we shall give way before the law of Æthelberht!

Three shillings boot if a man strike another with a fist upon the nose!

No feax-fang without sore punishment! Hearken, ceorls!”

This is the Anglo-Saxon tradition and culture you had in mind? It’s not just that you thought you were being subtle with your nativism and instead wound up committing yourself to a specific history and culture you didn’t mean to?

Paul A. Gosar lifted his long arm, making merry with his mead

And unlocked his word-hoard, the treasure of his mind:

“What culture could we crave beyond the Dream of the Rood?

The Bede is Venerable enough for me. What man speaks against him?

We must revive the ancient American art of sitting by the sea lamenting the passing of our lord.

What could be more American than alliterative poetry about tearing the arm off Grendel,

Writ in a tongue none has spoke for a thousand year?

My thews are weary. We must take down this obelisk of stone and heave up a barrow

To give glory to our great Founders who have passed.

Ea-la! My kinsmen! Ea-la! A spear-bearing host!

Of the Constitution writ upon much vellum, we seek to know nothing.

We gaze with dour eyes upon the land of freedom and opportunity

Where voting happened even a limited amount
Advertisement

And representative government rules wheat-lands and peach-lands.

We long instead to exult in battle with our hammered blades,

Those classic American things that are very American.

America first, obviously! This all follows!”

And they clashed shield on shield, and a great shout went up.

Mail-shirt and sword resounded with a clang, and the caucus roared,

And the roar echoed where the sea-birds

Picked the carcass of the Republican Party.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25664 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'm not generally a fan of Alexandra Petri's humor, but this rocks!

Posts: 12478 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post