well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    But for the grace of .... sheer luck
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

But for the grace of .... sheer luck
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Man dies when tree falls on car

I was in the exact area, at almost the exact same time, going in the opposite direction. The rain was blinding ... 2+ inches per hour rate. I didn't see anything. Heck, I could barely see out my front window with the wipers going super fast.

I didn't know about it until my wife and I came back up the road at about 5:45 going to dinner and found the entire road closed off, both ways. At dinner I looked this up and found out what happened. Road was still closed at 7:30 when we were returning. Police have it blocked as they investigate.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Eeker OMG! Thank the gods you are ok! What a close call!

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I remember my grandfather narrowly missed being crushed by a huge branch that cracked off a tree while he was walking home from work.

Glad to hear you're still with us.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
So am I, ... so am I.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Driving PSA:

Aquapel

I won't drive a car in the rain unless the windshield is treated with this. Makes the rain bead up and run off - especially in those crazy downpours. At highway speed, most of the time I don't need to use the wipers.

I used to be able to find it in auto stores, but have to order it online.

Once, or maybe twice a year treatment...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Glad you're OK. Sorry about the other guy.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P*D how scary! I don’t know what it’s like where you are, but when I look around here, it seems the tree maintenance leaves a lot to be desired. These kinds of accidents will probably happen more often, between increasingly powerful storms and lack of money for that kind of upkeep.

Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18521 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Driving PSA:

Aquapel

I won't drive a car in the rain unless the windshield is treated with this. Makes the rain bead up and run off - especially in those crazy downpours. At highway speed, most of the time I don't need to use the wipers.

I have such a treatment on my windshield, but 2+ inch per hour downpours just create so much mess that you slow to a crawl, or if you're on the highway you pull over to the shoulder, off the road. On neighborhood feeders, I just plowed along, slowly.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
P*D how scary! I don’t know what it’s like where you are, but when I look around here, it seems the tree maintenance leaves a lot to be desired. These kinds of accidents will probably happen more often, between increasingly powerful storms and lack of money for that kind of upkeep.

Frowner

Yeah, I suspect maintenance might be a small part of the problem, but we're not a hugely budget constrained community, and this was inside the town of Williamsburg that has steady income for these things. Our roads are bordered by stately forest trees (oaks, beeches, hickory, and the like). On many roads with one lane each way, like Jamestown Road as it nears our house, the trees form a complete arch.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yea, sometimes stuff just breaks.

I can't imagine how the surviving passenger feels.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
How awful. Frowner

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P*D, in that case then maybe just the strength of the storm.

I think I just have an over-amped awareness of tree danger these days! WhoMe First, before we had that huge tree removed from the front of our house, I could see what a hazard it was and how less healthy it was compared to other trees around here. Then, a house in our neighborhood had a tree fall on its roof. The damage was comparatively minimal but I just look around all through town now and see trees that probably need to be taken down because they're huge and not super healthy looking. And more to the point, they are either hanging over someone's house, or they stretch out over the road...

Wtg,
quote:
I can't imagine how the surviving passenger feels.

I was thinking that too! Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18521 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
But the grace of God... I've been terrified driving in blizzards at night where car lanes disappear and some folks are driving at crazy speeds.

I also thought the same watching the video of the woman who recently killed 6 in a car accident in California - where she ran the light at 80 mph. It wasn't a situation where the light had just changed. There's a certain amount of trust that people are paying attention. It's sad - took out a whole family woman, husband child and child on the way. The irresponsible driver who caused the accident survived. I don't know how she lives with that.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
There have been a lot of reports of fallen trees in our region lately. They've been partially due to high winds, but also due to soil so saturated that the roots no longer have good purchase.

We had a large tree fall across our driveway a couple of weeks ago that totaled one car parked there and did damage to another. Fortunately, that occurred during a nighttime storm so there was no one injured.

We had an arborist remove the fallen tree and also another one near it that he said was also in perilous condition.

I'm glad you escaped injury. It's generally more disturbing when a person is near the scene and time of an accident or event. I've had that feeling with increasing frequency as I hear about shootings that occur in places I've frequented or fatal accidents on roads that I travelled.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Driving PSA:

Aquapel

Ordering it. ASAP

What terrifies me (don't know is it a Corolla failing?) is when the windshield fogs up on the inside from various causes, whether it's hot or cold out.

Then I can't see ANYTHING.
Putting on the AC along with the front defrost helps some, but NOT enough. Why does it happen and what can I do?

(It's already hard enough to try to glass clean it from inside, given my fused back Skeptical In fact, I always leave it somewhat smeary. But the fogging up is a mystery.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post