well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    1970s Things Found In Every Home
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1970s Things Found In Every Home
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted
https://youtu.be/0g4zXepHASM

I remember nearly all of these things. Big Grin

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7400 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh wow!!! Yep, I remember all that stuff too!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That video was great! Thanks for posting it, Big Al. I especially loved the teak chair near the beginning...

Whenever I watch the current crop of HGTV shows and see this:

I'm thinking, "Just wait. Down the road a few years, your decor will elicit the same reaction this one does now":

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I agree WTG, those kinds of bold patterns are much more likely to not age well.

There's a couple who flips houses around here and some how I ended up on their FB feed, so I always look at the photos they share, and they use those black and white patterns in bathrooms a lot. I'm not a fan.

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I remember them too. The 70’s style is one best forgotten.

But as far as the houses and the rooms, I don’t remember anyone having a house that looked like those. Model homes did, but regular houses might have had low shag carpet and chrome/glass but those wild patterns never really caught on with our crowd. Bakers racks and macrame, sure - but not the wild geometrics.

We were more of a herculon flame stitch mindset, surrounded by what were considered “Earth tones”.

But Angels Flight pants and Members Only? Yeah, we rocked that look.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
There’s a whole book about that.

[URL=Interior Desecrations: Hideous Homes from the Horrible '70s]Interior Desecrations[/URL]

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
How did they find all those pictures of my mom’s house?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
How did they find all those pictures of my mom’s house?

ROTFLMAO

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Partway through that video, they are talking about wood paneling and brick walls and there is a photo that made me rewind (ok, that’s a 70’s term) because it’s not from the 70’s. It’s got all the right furniture, except for the flat screen TV in the corner.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20446 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Partway through that video, they are talking about wood paneling and brick walls and there is a photo that made me rewind (ok, that’s a 70’s term) because it’s not from the 70’s. It’s got all the right furniture, except for the flat screen TV in the corner.

Should have been a console TV with a built in stereo. The kind with the huge built in bass speakers that would dance the Hummers right out of the fruitwood china cabinet. ThumbsUp

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s got all the right furniture, except for the flat screen TV in the corner.

Oopsies!

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
OK, true confessions time. I realize that there are a lot of fans (here and in the real world LOL) of "mid-century modern" architecture. Not my cup of tea at all. Basically, to me mid-century modern are these houses with new carpet and interior wall paint.

That said, I recognized a lot of those things. I don't recall having a big console TV, but my grandmother definitely did. We had one of the linoleum designs in our kitchen. We had no shag until I went to college, where it was absolutely required (of course in burnt orange) in apparently every single student apartment off-campus on the entire west coast.

The other thing it brought to mind was the situation where your biggest effort in terms of weight, size, space was moving your stereo system. Huge heavy records that had to be stored upright, delicate multiple components to the stereo, massive speakers. For me, my "sound system" and records took up more room than almost all of my other stuff until I was an adult and owned actual furniture. I suspect that was true for a lot of us of a 'certain age.' It's still true for kluurs! Wink

Amazing to think that my kids music is now in the cloud, they stream it to their TV/sound bar or something like a Sonos type bluetooth speaker, all of which could be carried easily in a pocket and one hand.

That was a fun watch!

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Whatever happened to all of the bakers racks?

They were everywhere and indestructible but I haven’t seen one in years.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Whatever happened to all of the bakers racks?

They were everywhere and indestructible but I haven’t seen one in years.

The stainless steel ones? I confess we just got one for storage. Leaving

I also inherited my brother-in-law’s fancy audio components, so now I need component shelving. I don’t understand the whole streaming thing yet. Yes, I’m a dinosaur.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Bakers racks were always black painted steel, IIRC.

Get a Bluetooth dongle and install it on the vintage components Put the YouTube app, along with the Amazon music and iTunes app on your phone. It really is a game changer. Thousands of pieces of music a couple of clicks away.

I always smile when I hear people talking about going back to tube type amplifiers and vinyl because of the nice warm sound. The nice warm sound is actually distortion and the new digital and streaming stuff sounds so much more natural. You will have to decide which one you prefer.